Thursday, September 18, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers Bonus Recipe: Apple Turnovers

September's bonus recipe for Barefoot Bloggers was chosen by Anne of Anne Strawberry. At first I thought I wouldn't make it because it's been so hot, but it cooled down just enough over the weekend for me to try it out. These are super simple to make and tasted really good, but I think I used a little too much orange juice in mine. They were more like Orange-Apple Turnovers. This recipe makes more filling than you will need for the turnovers so cook the rest of it down and spoon it over some vanilla honey ice cream. Yum! Check out how the other turnovers *turned out* here.


Apple Turnovers
(Adapted from Ina Garten)

1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 Granny Smith apple
1 1/2 tablespoons dried cranberries
1 tablespoon sugar, plus extra to sprinkle on top
2 dashes cinnamon
1 dash nutmeg
Pinch kosher salt
1/2 package puff pastry, defrosted
1 egg beaten with a splash of water for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Combine the orange zest and orange juice in a bowl. Peel, quarter, core, and dice the apple. Immediately toss the apple with the zest and juice to prevent it from turning brown. Add the cranberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

Cut the sheet of puff pastry into four equal squares. Brush the edges of each square with the egg wash and neatly place about a large spoonful of the apple mixture on half of the square. Fold the pastry diagonally over the apple mixture and seal by pressing the edges with a fork. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Brush the top with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar, make 2 small slits, and bake for 20 minutes, until browned and puffed. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

Meryl said...

I really like the orange-i-ness. But I had super tart apples too, so that might be part of it. Your turnovers are very pretty!

Anne said...

I'm glad you liked the turnovers! I think I'll adjust the filling a little next time but I love this easy and versatile recipe and know there will be a next time! Yours look great and the filling over ice cream sounds amazing too!

Suzie said...

I wish I had thought to use the leftover filling over ice cream! Great job as usual - your pics always look pretty.

NKP said...

I had extra filling too - what a great idea to cook it and put it on ice cream. Great job - the colour on your pastry is excellent.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

These look great! I like the addition of orange.

Debbie said...

Your turnovers look delicious. Nice and flaky....

Brilynn said...

Puff pastry's fun to work with, isn't it? There's just so many things that can be done with it and it's so simple.

Deb in Hawaii said...

You turnnovers turned out so pretty and they puffed up nicely too! And those lemon ricotta cookies below look pretty fntastic as well!

Erica said...

Gosh, I love to bake! I have never tried to make turnovers, but must now! What are you up to this weekend?

Unknown said...

oh apples, how i love thee!!

Anonymous said...

yours look perfect. :) i loved this recipe.

Esi said...

Thanks everyone!

Brilynn - I can't believe how easy it was to work with puff pastry. Definitely worth the 2 grocery store trips to find it.

Erica - not up to much. I went out three times this week which is pretty unusual for me, so I am taking it very easy this weekend. How's your weekend looking?

Natalie Que said...

Oh man, this looks good too! You're killing me here!

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! I've never tried turnovers. Clever use of the leftover filling, too!

Jodie said...

They look great. Great idea for the leftovers!

vanillasugarblog said...

This goes great with my morning hot coffee. Any left?

Anonymous said...

This looks so tasty! Perfect for this time of year.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yum! I didn't think about cooking down the remainder and spooning it over ice cream. That sounds wonderful! Glad you liked them!
~Cat

Esi said...

Dawn - only made four, sorry! One for me, one for the roommate and one for my guinea pig aka my friend Tony

Anonymous said...

oh i love apple turnovers! paired with some scoops of vanilla ice cream...YUM!

Summer said...

Wow! They look amazing!