Thursday, September 4, 2008

Green Cabbage Stir Fried with Egg

I picked up some cabbage at the farmer's market originally to use with turkey burgers, but then I wasn't in the mood. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with it, but then I came across this recipe. Tom makes some really beautiful Cambodian food. Check out his recent recipes featuring the biggest shrimp I have ever seen!! As with all stir fries, it is essential to have your ingredients ready before you start cooking because they go really quickly. I didn't feel like lugging out my wok so I used a large skillet which worked just fine. I served it with some brown rice and had a great lunch for work!

Green Cabbage Stir Fried with Egg
(Adapted from Under the Tamarind Trees)

1/2 medium head green cabbage, shredded
1 shallot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon agave nectar
1/2 tablespoon water
2 or 3 drops toasted sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Canola oil for stir frying

In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce, agave nectar, water, sesame oil, and chili flakes.

Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for one minute. Add the cabbage and cook just until it begins to wilt.

Push the cabbage to one side of the pan and add the egg. Cook the egg for a few seconds, scrape and turn and cook for a few more seconds. Stir the egg into the cabbage and toss until combined.

Add the sauce to the cabbage mixture and toss to coat the cabbage.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

I would love to know how many cookbooks you have. I love the flavors you have mixed in this one.

Erica said...

I have never cooked with cabbage...I might need to give this a try. Think its a good cabbage starter recipe?

test it comm said...

This sounds like a nice way to use cabbage.

Anonymous said...

I would never have thought of combining egg and cabbage, but this sounds really tasty. And I agree that Tom's recipes are amazing. I need to make one and post it!

Adi said...

i looked at this last night and thought it sounded great. then this afternoon i got a cabbage in my farm share. it was meant to be! i'll be making this tomorrow. thanks again Esi!

Paula said...

Hi Esi! This looks really good and I just happen to have a head of cabbage in the fridge waiting to be used! I've not tried agave nectar before, but I have seen it at the store. I love the idea of sesame oil and red pepper flakes in here. This one is a winner with me!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm all embarrassed now - people are talking about me! Seriously though Esi, thank you! I really do appreciate it when people cook the things I've posted and a actually like them. It's just so reassuring! :)

Prudy said...

What a beautiful use of simple ingredients.

CECIL said...

This is such a comfort food for Asian cuisine. Perfect with bowl of steamy jasmine rice.

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe tonight, and I loved it!

Thanks so much for the idea, I've posted pictures back on my blog.

Lady Amalthea said...

Yum! I'm eating this for lunch right now and it's delightful. I substituted maple syrup for the agave and added some Herbes de Provence to fusion it up a bit. Such a wonderful, simple dish.