Saturday, September 6, 2008

Grilled Steak with Cebolitas

When I was in my second year of college, I discovered Food Network and more importantly, Emeril Lagasse. I was obsessed with his shows. I literally used to make sure my classes were done by 5PM so I could race home and catch his shows. It wasn't just Emeril. At this time, I discovered Julia Child (who's repeats they used to show at around 2AM just when I was returning home from fraternity parties), Two Fat Ladies (who's dvds are coming out soon!), Bobby Flay, Tyler Florence, and Wolfgang Puck (who I saw at the farmers market a few months ago and almost crapped my pants!!!). Anyway, last year before I started food blogging, I found this great recipe of Emeril's for a grilled flank steak. I am not the hugest steak eater, but I love this marinade so much. It is so flavorful and the steak can be used in so many dishes it is definitely a keeper. I always make sure to marinate the steak overnight to get as much of the flavor into the meat as possible. I had a little mishap when I was making this and spilled my original batch of marinade all over my kitchen. I didn't have enough limes to use the second time around, so I replaced one of them with a lemon and it still turned out great.

PS, Totally un-food related, check out this clip of the lovely and insanely talented Adele on Conan. I had the greatest pleasure of seeing her perform back in May and I am hoping to see her again next month although there may be a scheduling conflict. She is really an artist that everyone should get to know and love.

Grilled Steak with Cebolitas
(From Emeril Lagasse)

1 Angus beef boneless Sirloin fillet
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus kosher salt, for seasoning

1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bunch green onions, plus 1/4 cup chopped
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
Lime wedges, for serving

Combine flank steak, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, 2 tablespoons lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup chopped green onions in a large zip-top plastic bag. Allow steak to marinate at room temperature for 45 minutes, turning occasionally. Alternatively, marinate in the refrigerator overnight.

Preheat grill to medium-high.

Remove steak from marinade bag and remove as much of the marinade as possible. Discard remaining marinade. Place the steak on the preheated grill and cook steak for 2 1/2 minutes, then rotate on same side 45 degrees (to create grill marks) and grill for another 2 1/2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for an additional 5 minutes on the other side, rotating 45 degrees after 2 1/2 minutes. Remove from grill pan and allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes under a foil tent.

Meanwhile, trim the root ends of the green onions and toss with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and salt, to season. Place the green onions on the grill and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, (depending on the size of the onions), or until softened and slightly charred. Remove the onions from the grill and toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice.
Slice the steak against the grain as thinly as possible and divide evenly between 4 plates. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Top each steak with several grilled onions. Garnish each plate with fresh cilantro sprigs and a lime wedge.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

That marinade looks like it's going to be delicious.

*sigh* I miss the old Food Network, when they actually had cooking shows.

vanillasugarblog said...

I love Emeril too. I was sad to see that the Food Network was not picking up Emeril Live for another year. But they are showing the reruns. (also on Fine Living network too). I also love love love the Two Fat Ladies. They just had a blast and didn't care what mess they made, not to mention the little field trips they made. Hands down Emeril and Ina Garten are my favs.

Erica said...

hahahah...I love that you came home from frat parties and watched food network :) I love food network. I can't get enough of it! Although I could do without Sandra Lee.... Any who, the marinade looks great! I have been looking for something like this for steak so I will put it on my list! Thank you!

Helene said...

Thanks for stopping by! This steak makes me hungry again, and it is time for bed here!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Esi, thank you so much for coming by. I've missed talking to you. I love those grilled steaks. So does my hubby. Thank you for the congrats. It was a real surprise.

Reeni said...

Those steaks look delicious! It is so cool that you saw Wolfgang!

Prudy said...

Green onions are heavenly on the grill!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

About the only thing I'll watch on Food Network is Iron Chef America, but even that is getting old. I hated Emeril Live - his cooking was crap, sorry to say.