Sunday, September 28, 2008

Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

You know how sometimes you see a recipe and you just have to go and make it? Well that happened to me the other day when I saw this post on Tartelette. Helen said there are so many ways you can do these bars and she is right. The only thing I changed was using pistachios since I was just about out of almonds and I used some fresh (organic) lavender from the farmers market. These were so easy to make and so good instead of my usual boring egg and fruit for breakfast. They also make a good snack to take to work. I am definitely going to try these again and play around with different flavors. PS, how are you liking my pictures with the new light? With the seasons changing, I have less daylight with which to take my pictures so I ordered this bad boy and I am having an absolute blast playing around with it. It makes me feel like when I used to work on set and all the guys fiddled with lighting making us have long ass work days.



Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
(Adapted from Tartelette)

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oats
1/3 cup raw, unsalted pistachios, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh lavender buds
1 egg
1/4 cup yogurt (I used non-fat Greek yogurt)
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl mix the flour, oats, pistachios, and lavender and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, honey and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir with a spoon until it comes together as a dough.

Turn the dough onto the parchment paper and form into a square (or something that resembles a square). Cut though with a sharp knife into 9 pieces and bake for 10-15 minutes. Let cool and break the squares apart.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I am so making these! But without the lavender. Lavender smells like my grandmother.

vanillasugarblog said...

LOL! The comment above about smelling like her grandmother! LOL
These do look good, I'm not a huge fan of breakfast bars unless there is a chunk of chocolate of coffee beans in them. I like the Kashi trail bars ok. These look good though.
And I haven't noticed a diff in your pics. I mean I think you've taken great pics (with enough light) all along. When or what pic made the switch so I can better tell?
Happy Sunday sweetie!

Esi said...

Foodycat - you're hilarious. I used to not be crazy about lavender either, but I am loving it while baking lately.

Dawn - this is one of the first pics I have done without natural light. A couple of my DB pics were with the new light too. It's a little different, but I think I like it. Happy Sunday to you too!

Prudy said...

I love anything with oatmeal, anything at all, so I'm definitely making these! I'll let you know how it goes.

Elly said...

I saw these on Helene's site, too, and I am definitely making them soon. They look great!

Anonymous said...

I never thought about using lavender in cooking. I'll have to try it! Thanks for the idea.

Erica said...

I just made some oatmeal breakfast bars too! They are just the perfect start to any morning! I can't believe its Sunday aready...

Helene said...

So happy to hear you made them and liked them! I made some this morning with blueberries and nutmeg!
Your version sounds wonderful!

Unknown said...

Hmm, not sure about cooking with lavender... guess that'll be one to keep an eye out for ;-) Great looking bars!!

Debbie said...

The bars look delicious. Great to have with coffee I would think....

RecipeGirl said...

I saw these too and thought they might be nice to make. Your pictures are great! I have two of those lights you mentioned and find that they're helpful in low light!

Aggie said...

These look so good! I've been wanting to make some type of oatmeal bar...I'm going to try this! What are lavendar buds?

Esi said...

Aggie - lavender buds are the purple flower part of the lavender. They sell them dried in stores, but I picked up some fresh lavender at my farmers market.

Natalie Que said...

I saw it too, they look great, don't they?! So glad you made them, it reminded me I've got to try them!

test it comm said...

THose breakfast bars sound good. I like the colour that the pistachios add.

Chocolate Eclair said...

Sounds great, you should try making them with granola and raisins, cinnamon, and mashed bannanas. I made these and I love them...thx

Alicia Foodycat said...

I made my version this morning (marmalade instead of honey, no lavendar) - delicious! I only got 6 pieces out of the recipe though.