Sunday, September 7, 2008

Steak Sandwiches

I wanted to make something special to go with my leftover steak. I decided to go with a steak sandwich. To go on top of my steak, I caramelized some red onions I also had some nutty Gruyere leftover so I thought that would be awesome melted over the steak. This was so great, kind of like a modern version of a Philly steak sandwich. I think next time I will add some arugula or spinach or other greens just to have some more *green*.

Steak Sandwich

1 Ciabatta roll
Cooked steak, sliced
2 tablespoons Gruyere cheese, shredded
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon parsley, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat a broiler

In a medium skillet heat oil and cook onions until caramelized, season with salt and pepper.

In a small food processor, mix together mayonnaise, parsley, and horseradish.

Split ciabatta in half, lay the sliced steak over the bread and top with the shredded cheese. Lay each of the sandwich face side up on a baking sheet and place under the broiler until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.

Spread mayonnaise over the top half of bread. Top the cheese with onions and close the sandwich. Serve immediately.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Erica said...

What a great idea! I never know what to do with steak leftovers (frank usually ends up with a special treat haha) and these are perfect! Thanks for the idea!

Prudy said...

OH, I don't think I can wait for leftovers. I love sandwiches and these look sooo good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Esi! Love the sandwich! I've tagged you for a meme at http://tamarindtrees.net/memes/

Anonymous said...

Gruyere is my favorite! Beautiful dish!

Unknown said...

that roll looks AWESOME :) nice looking sammy, too--i loved gruyere!

Esi said...

Thanks everyone! Tom, I'll have my answers up by the end of the week :)

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Green peppers would be awesome with this.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, you and I were on similar wavelengths with our beef, melted Gruyere and onions! Such an incredibly comforting combination, isn't it?