Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze

I have a friend who is very nice, so he has become my number one taste tester for most of the treats I bake. I saw this recipe on a repeat of Giada this weekend and I thought it would be good to use up the last of the ricotta and a few lemons I had sitting around. I kind of went a little nutty at the farmers market this weekend so my fridge is once again overflowing with produce. I loved the cake-like texture of these cookies and I lightened them up a bit by using part-skim ricotta. My glaze wasn't as white as the glaze in the picture of Giada's cookies, but it was nice and lemony and added a tart bite. Giada (like how I'm on a first name basis with her?) sent these to her niece in college, but these are a simple treat to make any time.



Lemon Ricotta Cookies
(Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis)

Cookies:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick butter, at room temperature
Scant 1 cup sugar
1 egg
7 1/2 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 lemon, zested

Glaze:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 lemon, zested

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl mx together the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.

In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar. Using an electric mixer, cream together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, beating until incorporated. Add the ricotta, lemon juice and lemon zest and beat until everything is combined. Working in batches, beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop the dough onto the paper leaving room for each cookie to rise. Bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden at the edges. Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 20 minutes.

To make the glaze:
Stir together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest until smooth. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon onto each cookie and use the back of the spoon to gently spread. Let the glaze harden for 2 hours.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Love lemon cookies and these lemon ricotta ones look like they would so hit the spot right now.

Debbie said...

Those cookies look delicious. I like the idea of using ricotta.

Erica said...

I am always reading your blog after dinner and somehow become hungry again after looking at your pictures :) I have never baked with ricotta but def want to try! Thanks for the recipe. Giada is awesome (we're also on a first name basis haha)

Unknown said...

I'm on a first name with Giada, Ellie, Alton... :) I love the idea of these cookies, maybe with almond flavoring instead of the lemon!

Anne said...

Ooooh I just saw the episode where she made these, they looked amazing and yours do too (now I think I have to make them!)

Natalie Que said...

These sound absolutely perfect and look amazing. I can imagine the flavor, I really like this idea!

Angry Asian said...

i have been eyeing this recipe of giada for awhile and am thrilled you made these. did they last long? :) what i mean is, did you have to keep in the fridge or were you able to keep in a container out for awhile? thank you!

Esi said...

Once the glazed hardened I kept them in a plastic bag on the counter. They were definitely good for a couple of days before I gave them to my friend. I'm not sure how long he had them for, but I read other reviews that said they didn't last too long. Maybe 4 days max I am guessing.