Sunday, June 7, 2009

Calamari "Noodles" with Olives and Arugula

Calamari Noodles with Olives and Arugula

Once again I was able to sleep in on Saturday which is something that is becoming increasingly rare in my life these days. This has been one of those nice weekends that I didn't have any plans and the weather was perfect for staying in and getting some work done in the kitchen. I really didn't do a whole lot yesterday. I had just defrosted some squid because I was all set to make this recipe and then that crazy Anne Burrell chick disrupted my plans. I have mentioned before, but I don't really watch her show because of her weird grunting and fist pumping, but I caught the tail end of her describing these noodles and I was intrigued. I am not really sure how they worked in her plan of chicken under a brick, but for a light Saturday dinner, this is exactly what I was looking for. To sop up the amaaazing juices, I used my favorite no knead bread recipe which I literally mixed together as soon as I saw this calamari being made. I have made this bread so many times, I don't even need (knead?) to look at the original recipe any more. One of the keys to making this a great dish is to have everything ready before you begin because it is quick going once you start. It is fast and easy and delicious. There are a ton of juicy drippings so you may want to use extra bread which rubbed with garlic is my culinary obsession for the week. The arugula gives this just enough freshness and a nice bite. I highly recommend this recipe.

Enjoy your Sunday! I am off to the farmers market and then to see the movie UP. What are you all up to today?

PS, to my Greek crew...Lorenzo Lamas!! Happy Anniversary :)


Calamari Noodles with Olives Over Arugula

Calamari "Noodles" with Olives and Arugula
(Adapted from Anne Burrell)

Makes 2-3 servings

1/2 pound clean calamari, tubes and tentacles (or only tubes, if you prefer)
Extra-virgin olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, smashed, plus 1 for rubbing bread
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Salt
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons kalamata or gaeta olives, slivered
2 slices crusty bread
1 large handful washed baby arugula
1 tablespoon chopped parsley, for garnish

Cut each calamari tube in strips lengthwise that are about 1/4-inch wide. If using the tentacles, cut in segments.

Coat a large saute pan generously with olive oil. Add the smashed garlic cloves and crushed red pepper and bring to a high heat. When the garlic is golden brown and very aromatic remove the garlic and discard. Carefully add the calamari and quickly toss or stir in the hot oil. Season with salt and saute for 1 to 2 minutes or until the calamari turn from translucent to opaque. Add the wine and the olives and cook until the wine has reduced by about half. Taste to see if the seasoning is correct.

While the calamari is cooking, toast or grill the bread. Rub the bread with the remaining garlic clove and drizzle generously with olive oil.

Divide the arugula between 4 serving bowls. Spoon the calamari and juices over the greens. Cut each piece of bread in half on the bias and arrange on the calamari. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks really good - light and healthy! I have some squid in the freezer, I should give it a run.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a gorgeous light and healthy meal. Off to try and buy some squid.

daxphillips said...

I love cooking with olives, but I get outnumbered as the rest of my family doesn't care for them in any food. I've tried to sneak them in, but get caught every time. Looks great though!

Chef Fresco said...

Beautiful salad! I've never cooked with squid, but this looks great!

angela@spinachtiger said...

Who has squid in the freezer? Not me. But, now Im curious. Could I venture into it?

Esi said...

Hello all! I hope you had a wonderful weekend and thank you as always for your nice-ness.

Angela, I get my squid at the farmers market and if I don't use it right away, I freeze it for later. It defrost pretty quickly kind of like shrimp!

The Food Librarian said...

Delicious! I love squid. And Anne B drives me insane too. I find it easier on the nerves to watch her show on mute. :) Take care of yourself with your zillion jobs!

Erica said...

I love the idea of having calamari more as a noodle! I am NOT a fan of the fried version. Looks great Esi!

lisaiscooking said...

This looks great! I really like squid, and this is such a great idea.

Reeni said...

I've never had squid any other way except fried. These look like flour noodles! What a creative idea!

Marta said...

Great quick recipe! I bet this is also delicious thrown on some pasta or even cous cous... I mean, in the spirit of soaking up the juices!
I love squid and, like you say, they do over-cook really quickly, that's the only tricky part.

Sara said...

What a cool way to use calamari, which I love. And I totally agree about Anne Burrell, she is hard to watch.

GiGi said...

Perfect Perfect Recipe! I am always looking for new things (within my diet restrictions) and this recipe comes out on top!