Monday, June 8, 2009

Rhubarb Cocktails

Rhubarb Soda Cocktail

One of the things I love to do on a lazy weekend is to mix up a batch of cocktails and sit on my caged in porch while working on my computer. It was a little too chilly to fully appreciate sitting outside on Saturday, but it didn't stop me from mixing some delicious drinks. I had picked up some rhubarb at the Hollywood farmers market last weekend and was anxious to use it. A little while ago I saw this rhubarb soda on the Culinate site and thought it would probably be delicious with a little vodka mixed in. They must have read my mind because this past week I came across this rhubarb cosmopolitan on the same site. I still have a bunch of lemons from Raulito's brother so I just used those and came up with a delicious combination of both of the recipes. After I had tried each drink as written, I decided to just fill a glass with some ice, add the rhubarb syrup, some vodka, a splash of lemon juice, and then topped it off with some sparkling water. Since I prefer my drinks on the tart side, it was my favorite combination and a really delicious (if not naughty) way to enjoy rhubarb.

Rhubarb Cosmopolitan

Rhubarb Simple Syrup
(From Culinate)

Makes 1 1/2 cups

1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb (about 5 stalks)
About 1 cup sugar (I used a little less)
1 1/2 cups water

Place rhubarb, sugar, and 1½ cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes, until the syrup is bright pink.

Turn off the heat and allow to cool. Strain syrup into a large jar.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 comments:

test it comm said...

Using rhubarb in a drink sounds really nice.

Pearl said...

i would love to have that drink sitting on my patio table.

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds like liquid heaven to me. And its such a pretty color!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds like a wonderful idea. The photograph is a stunner.

Cathy said...

this may be the only way I will ever "eat" rhubarb!

Erica said...

mmm nothing like a good beverage. Its so pretty!

Justin said...

this could be good to get me over my slight fear of cooking with rhubarb

Alicia Foodycat said...

That sounds really good! Although how you could make a call on it after tasting 2 other recipes I don't know.

Marta said...

I wish rhubarb could be made "lighter", you know, without so much sugar... but it's usually worht the calories!
This looks perfectly refreshing :)

Kerstin said...

Love it - how refreshing!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Hi Esi,

Yes! I have tons of Rhubarb in my freezer and this is now on my summer cocktail list.

Laura

Kana said...

How creative! Very pretty.

Diana said...

I'm so glad it turned out! I really enjoy the word rhubarb.

Reeni said...

What a gorgeous drink! It looks lovely and refreshing.

Heather said...

you know i love a good cocktail!! looks amazing!

Parita said...

Oh my this looks delicious..what a refreshing drink and what pretty color :)

Juliana said...

It is new to me...rhubarb in drinks...they look so refreshing...and the color is just so pretty. Great pictures as well.

Maria said...

I am loving all things rhubarb this year! Great drink!

Esi said...

Hi all! I could really use one of these right now. Thanks everyone for coming by!

Olga said...

That looks so pretty and elegant!

Summer said...

yummy and so pretty!

Anonymous said...

never would have thought! looks fabulous!