Monday, June 1, 2009

Cranberry and Hibiscus Granola

Cranberry and Hibiscus Granola

Last summer I made a granola that was so good and easy, I have often thought about making it again, but I wanted to do something a little different this time. I had dried cranberries and dried hibiscus in my pantry and thought they would be great in a granola. The last few days we have been experiencing the first signs of May Gray/June Gloom and the sun has made zero to few appearances. It was the perfect time to preheat the oven and bake a few things. This granola is so simple and the smell of cinnamon was absolutely amazing! I enjoyed this granola over some agave sweetened Oikos Organic Greek yogurt. I received my coupons for it a while ago, but I just finally got around to picking up my sample. I loved the yogurt! For being fat free, it's incredibly thick and creamy and was a great vessel for my granola. I'm definitely going to be having some good breakfasts this week.

On a side note, I am going to be incredibly busy from now on. I will try to reply to comments as fast as possible, but it will take me longer to visit your blogs and I may be posting less. Once I get into a groove, I will hopefully be able to pick things up, but if you don't see me commenting as much for a little while, please don't be offended, I still love you and want to hear from you!



Cranberry and Hibiscus Granola
(Adapted from Adventures in Shaw)

Makes about 4 cups of granola

2 cups oats (I used old fashioned)
2/3 cup nuts, roughly chopped (I used pistachios and almonds)
3 tablespoons whole flax seeds
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
1/2 cup dried hibiscus flowers, roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, mix together the oats, nuts, whole and ground flax and cinnamon and stir to combine. Whisk together the vanilla and maple syrup and using a wooden spoon, stir into the oats mixture. Add the canola oil and toss everything to combine.

Spread the mixture on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Using a heat-resistant spatula, stir the granola to make sure everything browns evenly. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Once the granola has cooled completely, stir in the cranberries and hibiscus flowers.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll develop a rhythm in no time at all. The granola sounds delicious.

Erica said...

Hope the new old job goes well today! Great granola. I am such a HUGE fan of homemade granola, we make it almost every week in my house.

vanillasugarblog said...

wow that was fast! you found that one fast. I hope it's better this time around for ya.
That is seriously a very appetizing and healthy breakfast. That would hold me till dinner.
Good luck Momma!

Pearl said...

hibiscus in granola? how COOL!
good luck with the job!

anna said...

Yummy! That must be so incredibly tangy and good!

Marta said...

Good luck on your first day on your old job!
This granola looks great, I have yet to lay my hands on dried flowers, but I'm on the lookout!

Diana said...

I've had homemade granola on my radar for months now! (Or specifically since the 101 goal list came out...)

This recipe sounds great and even better paired with yogurt!

Hope everything is going well today!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Good luck!

This is a superb twist on granola. Looks so healthy and good.

Maria said...

Wow, hibiscus flowers in granola, that is such a great idea! Good luck with the job!

The Food Librarian said...

This looks great. Good luck with work. Hope they don't burn you out!

Reeni said...

This is a seriously delicious granola! I can't wait to try hibiscus flowers! Hope everything goes well for you!