Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Rainbow Room's Carrot and Peanut Salad

Carrot and Peanut Salad

And we're back to our regularly scheduled programming. Did you have a good weekend? I certainly did. In fact, it may have been a little too good. The Adele show was so much fun, but I was really hurting yesterday. For the better part of the day, all I consumed was pizza and part of a cupcake so when I got home, I was looking for something slightly healthier. Luckily, I had just dug out my copy of Forever Summer that I like to scroll through every once in a while. This salad takes two seconds to make and it was exactly what I needed to end the day on a slightly more virtuous note than how it started. Unfortunately it's not the prettiest thing to look at, but I am not beating myself up over that. I love carrots, especially the organic variety from McGrath Family Farm. They are my go-to snack during the work week. The flavors work so well together. The natural sweetness of the carrots plays off the tartness from the vinegar and the peanuts and sesame oil add a nice nuttiness. I definitely see this salad being added to my regular meal rotation.

The Rainbow Room's Carrot and Peanut Salad
(As found in Forever Summer (Style Network's))

Makes 1 serving

4 medium carrots, peeled
1/3 cup salted peanuts
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon peanut oil
Few drops sesame oil

Grate the carrots very coarsely. In a bowl, combine them with the peanuts and add the remaining ingredients. Toss to combine.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

Pearl said...

oh that looks absolutely delicious! i love the bright color of carrots!

Erica said...

This sounds good to me. I would want to add some chopped apple to it as well- I think it'd add a nice sweet edge. Glad you had fun girly :)

Chef Fresco said...

Very interesting combination! I like the look of your soba/carrot salad too!

lisaiscooking said...

Your salad look great! Sounds crunchy and delicious too, and I'm on a salad kick right now.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your salad falls into the simply delicious category. It wonderful when something so good can be put together with so little effort.

Diana said...

I love the flavors you've got going on here. I eat carrots practically everyday with my lunch so this is right up my alley. Might need to shake things up soon! :)

daxphillips said...

Love the sound of this one, plus it looks really quick to put together. Big flavors, healthy, and easy? What more could you ask for. Thanks for sharing.

Juliana said...

Love the simplicity of this salad...sounds and looks great for the summer days...very refreshing! Great picture.

Unknown said...

i have to disagree about its appearance--LOVE the vibrant orange :) yummy!

Reeni said...

I think it's pretty! And so delicious!

Esi said...

Hello friends! Thank you! Yes, this salad is delicious and easy. Hope you can all try it soon.

Maria said...

What a pretty salad. Love the bright orange color.

Anonymous said...

What a simple and easy side salad to put together - yum!

Anonymous said...

sounds amazing! carrots and peanuts are such a hit together!

The Food Librarian said...

Pretty! It looks like a nice dish after a fun night.

Andrea said...

I LOVE Adele! Also, I love carrot salads, although I only just made my first one yesterday. I've never had one with peanuts, but I think it might just be brilliant.

Alicia Foodycat said...

I keep looking at that salad but I have never made it. Definitely one to try!