Thursday, June 18, 2009

Strawberry Tart

Strawberry Tart

Lately I have been buying strawberries every week. Sometimes, I use them in amazing recipes, and sometimes I just snack on them. This past weekend I bought some with the full intention of just having them for a mid-afternoon snack, until I caught this post on Closet Cooking. I swear, Kevin's recipes make me want to get in the kitchen right away and make them. The best part was having all of the ingredients. I literally had just enough strawberry preserves, puff pastry, and pistachios all laying around. I know this makes me seem like a bit of a freak, but I like to be prepared in case an awesome recipe like this comes up and I want to make it. In any case, I have been planning on doing a whole list of things I keep in my kitchen in order to whip up a delicious recipe, but I have been more than a little busy lately. I promise to get around to it soon so you too can have to tools to whip up something delicious in no time. Let me tell you, this tart is amazing. With the natural sweetness of strawberries and preserves, sugar is not necessary and the cinnamon adds a nice warmth. The crunch of pistachios gives it a little something extra and you really can't go wrong with buttery puff pastry.

Woooo, it's almost the weekend. What do you have planned?

Strawberry Tart
(Adapted from Closet Cooking)

Makes 4-6 servings

1 cup strawberries, washed, trimmed and sliced
Dash ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons strawberry preserves
1 sheet all butter puff pastry
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
1 tablespoon pistachios, roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil*.

Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Score a line around the pastry, about 1/2 inch from the edge. Brush the outer border with the egg wash mixture.

In a small bowl, mix together the strawberries, preserves, and cinnamon. Spread the strawberry mixture over the inside of the border on the pastry. Bake for 15-25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Serve warm, topped with the pistachios.

*If using foil, lightly spray with canola spray.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

Maria said...

It turned out great! It is almost too pretty to eat:)

Erica said...

I was literally about to type exactly what Maria did- ALMOST too pretty eat!

Yayyy for the weekend! I dunno exactly what I'm doing. A little daddys day celebration, but other than that?

Pearl said...

oh that turned out wonderfully! i wouldn't be able to eat it - just stare at it in admiration!

Parita said...

Love the tart, looks so good and refreshing!

Mary Bergfeld said...

How beautiful! Unlike previous posters I'd eat it without hesitation :-).

The Cooking Photographer said...

Hi Esi,

Kevin makes me want to cook too. I understand that! However this strawberry tart makes me want to eeeeeeat!

Laura

Diana said...

I've been going NUTS over the fresh strawberries everywhere right now. Now I want to make a strawberry tart with them! Too bad I don't have anything other than the pistachios just "lying" around. I don't think a tart made out of whole wheat bread and apricot preserves would be the same.

Reeni said...

It's so pretty!! I bet it was divine!

Unknown said...

i feel the same way about kevin's site :) this looks amazing, and i need to get my hands on some strawberries!!

Christine said...

You know I love your Strawberry recipes! And I have a puff pastry in my freezer just waiting to be used. Thanks again. BTW, you just made me hungry with this wonderful photo.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Oh Esi, I've got puff pastry, I've got strawberries, I've got some preserves. Guess what I'm making this weekend? Thank you my friend. Have a wonderful weekend.

test it comm said...

Your strawberry tart looks great! I rally liked how quick and easy this one was to make.

Olga said...

omg, should I be concerned that I immediately recognized this as Kevin's tart? Maybe I should stop looking at food photos for a while :)

You did a beautiful job! Happy weekend.

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

Hi there - is it OK if I reprint this recipe on my blog? It was incredibly fabulous and my buddies adored it.

my email is shelleybakes@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Esi said...

Luckily it was just pretty enough, but I had no problem eating this.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Your strawberry tart looks fantastic & the pastry looks perfect. We're off to China Town, Manchester on Sunday for lunch. Have a wonderful weekend.

Kate @ Savour Fare said...

That's just gorgeous! I always keep puff pastry around, too.

Maris said...

What a nice way to enjoy some strawberries in the springtime - sound great!

Kerstin said...

What a gorgeous tart! Looks so flavorful too and I love the ease of using puff pastry.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Did you have icecream to go with it? Because that looks just perfect, but I would have to have icecream or cream!

nick said...

I also saw this on closet cooking and thought it looked absolutely wonderful. Glad it turned out well for you!

I'm already sad that strawberry season is (mostly) over here in the mid-Atlantic for this year. I didn't even have a chance to pick some once, though I did eat plenty of scrumptious fresh local ones from the farmer's market.