Saturday, June 13, 2009

Herbed Bread

Herbed Bread

I'm sorry it took so long for me to share this bread with you. It's really good and I don't know why I have been hiding it. It's also spectacularly simple to make in the stand mixer, but I think it would be pretty simple done by hand. It just requires a bit more arm work. I used thyme as my herb of choice and let me tell you, this bread makes an excellent grilled cheese sandwich. I didn't get the bloom I had hoped for, but even with the all-purpose flour, this was a nice, light loaf. Light in terms of weight...with a stick of butter in the mix and topped with olive oil, this is not a recipe I will be making every week, but it is definitely a nice, fast replacement for my regular no knead recipe.

Hope you are enjoying your weekend. I am off to get ready for (another) wedding. Have a good one!

Herbed Bread

Herbed Bread Chunk

Herbed Bread
(From The Pioneer Woman Cooks)

20 ounces all-purpose flour (use bread flour if you have it)
8 ounces water
4 ounces melted butter with chopped herbs (I used about 2 tablespoons of thyme)
2 teaspoons salt, plus more for sprinkling
1 teaspoon instant yeast
Extra-virgin olive oil

Combine all of the ingredients in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. You can also do this by hand in a large bowl. Mix or knead for about 10 minutes until you achieve a windowpane with the dough.

Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it sit 1-4 hours until it has doubled in size. Once the dough has doubled, knead for 1-2 minutes to let the yeast redistribute.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat the dough with olive oil and sprinkle the top with extra kosher salt. Cut a large "X" into the top of the dough. Bake in a covered cast iron pan* for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and cook an additional 15-20 minutes until browned.

*I used a stainless steel dutch oven since I don't have a cast iron (my birthday is coming up though, wink).

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

Have a lovely time at the wedding! That looks like a really gorgeous crumb. Just the thing with some cheese.

Simones Kitchen said...

Have a fabulous wedding! This bread certainly looks delicious. I always love a good bread with herbs in it. Gives it so much flavour!

Chef Fresco said...

I love the look of this bread! And seems pretty simple - I may have to borrow the recipe :)

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Esi, how are you. I feel like I've been ignoring you, and I hate that because I love your blog. I'm sorry my friend. Listen, I love this bread recipe. I'm horrible when it comes to making bread. My arms and hands aren't always up to the kneading. So this one is perfect. I love bread. I know, that's terrible, but give me a piece of fresh baked bread slathered with butter and I'm in heaven. Thanks sweetie for the great recipe. :)

Anonymous said...

That bread looks sooooo good!

Erica said...

Looks fabulous and sounds easy! Love the addition of the herbs. Hope you're having a good weekend

Rina said...

Yum - this looks delicious! Have fun at the wedding! We have a few coming up too - busy busy!!

Maria said...

I love herbed bread, looks tasty!! Have a good weekend!

Marta said...

Yummy herbed bread! i love the olive oil topping, must add a lot of fragrance. Thanks for sharing this :)

daxphillips said...

There is nothing better than homemade bread. The smell alone is money. Great job on the rustic bread, it is wanting me to make a round already!

Unknown said...

Mmmm, so yummy! looks great, too :) have fun at the wedding

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a tasty and simple bread. It looks fabulous. Enjoy the wedding!

kellypea said...

This is making me think I need to start my brioche (such a procrastinator...)Your boule is gorgeous!

Pearl said...

oh that photo is incredible!

lisaiscooking said...

Your loaf looks amazing! Love the herb flecks in it too.

Reeni said...

Another beauty! This looks wonderful!

Esi said...

Thanks everyone! I had a fantastic time at the wedding. Hope you all enjoyed your weekend as well.

Sara said...

Looks great! I also made this bread and it was quite tasty.