Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Shrimp Cakes with Blackberry Dipping Sauce

Shrimp Cakes with Blackberry Dipping Sauce

Lately, I haven't been making my usual grocery shopping lists, but I like to have certain things on hand for if a recipe strikes me as interesting. During my quickie farmers market run last weekend, I decided to get one thing that I haven't used in a recipe yet on this blog. I love blackberries, but haven't really ever cooked with them. I found many recipes for tarts, crumbles, and pies, but this one struck me because it took sweet blackberries and paired them in a savory dish. Since I was being spontaneous, I had to use what I had on hand which meant instead of crab, I had to use shrimp to make the cakes. I don't normally buy mayonnaise, but I found some in my roommate's section of the fridge. Shh...don't tell her. This is fairly simple and very quick to make since shrimp cook so fast. I love the color that the blackberries gave the sauce and the cool sweet sauce went very well with the spice in the shrimp cakes.

Shrimp Cake with Blackberry Dipping Sauce

I hope your week is going well. I am getting more and more excited to see Adele this Sunday at the Hollywood Bowl. Of course we are going to do the evening right and bring a fantastic picnic. I am not sure what exactly we will be having, but Raulito has put in a request for feta salsa. Have an excellent picnic recipe you think I should try? Leave it in the comments!

Blackberry Dipping Sauce




Shrimp Cakes with Blackberry Dipping Sauce
(Adapted from Food, Wine, and Dogs)

1/2 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined and finely chopped
2 green onions, minced
1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg lighly beaten
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
Canola oil
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
4-5 fresh blackberries

In a large bowl mix the shrimp, green onions, chili garlic sauce, Parmesan, breadcrumbs and egg until well combined. Season with salt and a pinch of pepper.

Coat the bottom of a large skillet with oil and heat over medium-low heat. Use a tablespoon to form small balls of the shrimp mixture, then pat them gently to form cakes. Carefully lower the cakes into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden and the shrimp have cooked through. Drain on towels.

In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and blackberries, smashing the blackberries with a fork. Serve with the shrimp cakes.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

31 comments:

Maria said...

The shrimp cakes look amazing alone, but then to add blackberry dipping sauce...OH MY! What a great dish!

unconfidentialcook said...

I'm just drooling over the shrimp cakes--they just look amazingly crunchy and delicious. Never would have thought of the blackberry combo...but just about any dipping sauce works for me.

The Duo Dishes said...

The female half of this Duo is also going to see Adele, Etta and Janelle on Sun. Should be fun! Picnicing before the concept should also be good times. Cold or room temp sandwiches are great. We recently had a nice carrot and goat cheese sandwich that was good. Same for hearty dips like red pepper and almond that works for breads, meat and veggies.

Parita said...

Wow blackberry sauce looks amazing!

Diana said...

My brother made some tasty chicken wraps with almonds, celery, mayo/dijon, dried crans that he sliced up for my niece's baptism luncheon. They were simple, but pretty darn tasty!

Erica said...

This looks like a fun recipe- love the beautiful colors! ah! You're going to see Adele! I know how much you love her! Very cool. Hmmm picnic recipes...really simple, but tasty. Get fresh fruit (from your market ;) and serve it with a container of either regular cool whip (or WF's sells a more natural version) mixed with 1 individual serving size of fruity yogurt. Its such a lovely fruit dip

Justin said...

this is one of the more creative flavor combinations i've heard of in a long time. nice job.

Sara said...

Very interesting. You created a beautiful plate. I can' wait to try this combination of sweet and savory. I think I will use yogurt instead of the mayo.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look really good. The shrimp cakes caught my eye because they use so little breading. I suspect they taste every bit as good as they look.

Unknown said...

wow, i'm all over this! blackberry dipping sauce? shrimp cakes? fabulous :)

the blackberry pulled pork i made (coconut & lime) was phenomenal!

Candy said...

These look DELICIOUS! I want to try and make them RIGHT NOW!!!

oneordinaryday said...

Love that dipping sauce. Great idea.

Reeni said...

I hear the music from the Twilight Zone playing... I just came back from shopping and couldn't find the crab meat I wanted for crab cakes so was going to make shrimp ones...and here you are with these! They are a gorgeous golden brown - they look so light and crispy. Love the blackberry sauce with them!

Christina Kim said...

These look just fantastic! And who would think to pair them with a blackberry dipping sauce? You are so darn creative, and I am constantly amazed at your beautiful photos.

vanillasugarblog said...

you are so making this for me when I come visit you, period.

Anonymous said...

wow! that is looking mighty tasty!

Heather said...

what an awesome flavor combination. and the blackberries sound so good. we'll keep your secret about the mayo :)

daxphillips said...

wow, very cool. Curious, how is the berry mayo? Sounds wicked.

Elizabeth said...

Now this is my kind of cake! I could eat 1 million of these - they look awesome!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Hi Esi,

Lol I won't tell! Especially since you are sharing this really cool recipe.

Laura

Esi said...

Hello everyone! Thanks as always, especially for the picnic recommendations.

Maria and Unconfidential, thank you

Duo Dishes, it's going to be a great show!

Diana and Erica, thanks for the suggestions!

Justin, Sarah, and Mary, thanks!

Ben, that means a lot coming from a photography master :)

Reeni, I always am using shrimp as an alternative to crab. Less expensive :)

Dawn, I sure will!

Heather, thanks...I don't think she found out ;)

Dax, the berry mayo was really good. I am not a huge fan of mayonnaise, but the berry adds a wonderful flavor (and color).

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

The blackberry dipping sauce looks delectable. . .and those shrimp cakes. . .Ooh, I would love to bite into those.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Wow what an interesting meal. I'm drooling over your dish.

Sharon said...

fantastic recipe! i love how the colors pop off the screen. i can't imagine how lovely that meal must be in real life :)

Donna-FFW said...

I love the sound of these shrimp cakes and with that dipping sauce, great combo!

Kristen said...

What a great idea and such a unique sauce for the shrimp cakes!

Chef Fresco said...

Oh man! You hit a soft spot. This post gets a digg. I'm making these ASAP.

angela@spinachtiger said...

Shrimp cakes is such a nice change. We eat a lot of shrimp and to find another interesting way to eat them is appreciated.

test it comm said...

Those shrimp cakes look good! I would not have thought about a Blackberry dipping sauce but now I am curious to try it.

Jackie said...

Hi

Did you use fresh breadcrumbs or dried plain or seasoned breadcrumbs.

Esi said...

Jackie, you can use fresh or plain dried breadcrumbs in this recipe.