Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Frisee Lardon

I finally got the energy to cook last night, after a super busy day yesterday! I saved this recipe recently and I am so glad Daul finally delivered my farmers market goods so I could make it. It's heavily adapted from Nancy Silverton who is one of my Los Angeles heroes. I have yet to dine at either of the Mozzas or at Campanile (sacrilege, I know, but I like almost never go out), but from what I hear they are pretty fantastic and if this recipe is any indication of what I have yet to experience, I can't wait to go! This is a pretty quick and easy recipe to prepare. I left out the bread because I didn't have any and haven't had time to make any since I have been back. Such is the life of a Hollywood gal. Haha, yeah RIGHT!! In case you haven't noticed, I am quite the opposite of a Hollywood gal. This is such a good recipe to have on hand. It's a pretty simple combination of ingredients, but the flavors are out of this world. Some time I will have to try this with the bread suggested in the original recipe.



Frisee Lardon
(Adapted from Nancy Silverton's Sandwich Book)

4 slices bacon, sliced
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced
2 large eggs, hardboiled
1/2 small head radicchio, cut into large pieces
1 small bunch frisee, core removed, pulled apart into small bunches
1 teaspoon bacon fat
1 shallot, minced
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

In a medium pan over medium-low heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Drain the bacon on towels and reserve one teaspoon of the rendered bacon fat in the pan. Add the olive oil, shallots, and garlic to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in the Dijon mustard and balsamic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute and until combined. Remove the vinaigrette from the heat and stir in the bacon.

Divide the frisee and radicchio between two plates. Top with the vinaigrette and toss to combine. Top with sliced hardboiled eggs.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Andrea said...

I just got this book but haven't made anything out of it yet. Your frisee lardon looks just delicious! Don't worry about not being an LA party girl, I'm in Manhattan and almost never go out either. Just leave it to the stars who have millions to blow on stuff like that!

Heather said...

mmmmmmmmmmm. this looks so, so good. i love bacon. i just bought some at the store, i've been craving it! i never go out either. nick and i are pretty much always home by 8 or 830. we are pretty darn cool.

Erica said...

It looks very pretty! Your hb egg yellows are so yellow! Mine always look sort of a lame yellow color

Diana said...

Esi!! You must must must go to Campanile for grilled cheese night and/or Mozza for pizza! A Nancy Silverton meal is worth every penny! (and worth the painful run-ins with those too cool for school Hollywood types!)

CECIL said...

This looks just way delicious! I second Erica, the egg yolks look perfect.

Esi said...

Nights in are the way to go, especially when you are as poor as me! However, it's my goal in 2009 to make it to the restaurants I have been dying to try.

Erica and Cecil, I get these really amazing eggs at the farmers market. I swear they are the best eggs ever!

Diana, I am totally going to go out of my box and make it to grilled cheese night AND one of the Mozza's next year.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Well, Ms. Hollywood, this is a recipe I can really sink my teeth into. Sounds perfect after the way I've been eating lately. Thanks Esi. I like it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this looks stunning! And I like the use of radiccio, here, I'll have to try that.

Sometimes I like to top mine with slightly underpoached eggs for the extra... mmmmph! Just a thought.

Nicely done, as always. :)

Esi said...

You're welcome Teresa!

Jeff, y'know, I have never tried poaching an egg on my own. Crazy, I know! You're right, they would be so good on this.

Reeni said...

What a delicious dish! I bet it would be just as wonderful as a sandwich.

Unknown said...

looks lovely :) i almost expected lard in the ingredient list!

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy!
~Cat

vanillasugarblog said...

you know your hard boiled eggs came out perfect, seriously.
I love all of this!

Anonymous said...

Peace be with you

Alicia Foodycat said...

I do love a woman who is generous with the bacon! This is a favourite salad and you've made a beautiful one!

test it comm said...

Bacon on salad...mmm...