Saturday, December 13, 2008

Vanilla Bean Scones

You may be asking yourself (or me) "didn't you just make scones a few weeks ago?". Well, I did, but I love scones and I have been wanting to try this version for a while. I am totally obsessed with those mini vanilla bean scones at Starbucks and even though they are pretty inexpensive (75 cents per scone), I wanted to see if I could at least try to find a way to replicate this recipe if and when Starbucks decides to discontinue those bad boys. I have a bajillion vanilla beans so I thought this would be a good use for one. I based this recipe on the pomegranate cream scones I made a few weeks ago. Instead of doing a vanilla bean icing a la Starbucks, I just brushed the tops of the scones with cream and gave them a pretty liberal sprinkling of vanilla sugar. These turned out really well. I OD'ed a little on the cream in the scone recipe (used a little more than what I wrote) because my dough wasn't coming together. Instead of staying in the lovely triangles I cut them into, the scones looked more like question marks, but the flavor was really similar to the Starbucks version. Also, I don't feel guilty about eating these because I know exactly what went into them. Although, with the few cents I am saving, I may be picking up a Cinnamon Dolce Latte one of these weekends...

Have you entered the giveaway yet? Click here for the deets.

Vanilla Bean Scones

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons vanilla sugar
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
6 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
1 large egg
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream, plus extra for brushing
Vanilla sugar for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add the butter and work it into the flour mixture with a pastry blender until it resembles a coarse meal.

In a small bowl, beat the egg, vanilla beans, and the cream together with a fork. Add to the flour mixture and mix with your hands or a wooden spoon until the dough just comes together.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Pat the dough into a round, about 1-inch thick. Cut into equal sized wedges. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with cream and sprinkle with vanilla sugar. Bake until golden, about 12 to 15 minutes.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I would love one of those to go with my coffee!

Erica said...

I'm all for saving money so I can get more starbucks coffee/beverages ;) These look like they turned out perfect

Unknown said...

they sound divine, glad you were able to come up with an acceptable substitute!

vanillasugarblog said...

we have to be twins. I love those scones at Starbucks...and have been wanting to recreate them as well. you have no idea how much money I spend at Starbucks on the egg nog lattes, pumpkin scones, raspberry scones and vanilla scones.
I might have to try this, and I even bought a mini scone pan..ha ha have a good rest of the weekend!

Reeni said...

These are perfect for a weekend morning. They came out so thick! I would love to sink my teeth into one of those. I saw a recipe where the scones were cooked in a baking pan and cut afterwards. Have you ever made them that way or do you think it would be OK to bake them like that?

The Food Librarian said...

Yummy! My work starbuck closed recently so this would be great..and better. sometimes their baked good sucked. :)

Heather said...

mmm, i love the cinnamon dolce latte. i'm usually a white mocha person, but every now and then, i mix it up with one of those. these scones look delicious!!

Esi said...

I could totally go for a latte right about now. If only you guys knew the state I woke up in this morning :)

Dawn - a mini scone pan? That's awesome! I may have to find one of those.

Reeni - that's an interesting idea, I've never done it, but I will have to try it sometime.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Esi, I have got to try your vanilla bean scones. Scones are a favorite of mine this time of the year. I guess making them keeps my kitchen warm, and the aromas make me feel happy. Thanks for the great recipe sweetie.

K and S said...

yummy! I'll have to try this!

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for scones. Especially raspberry ones. And these look delisch. Sounds like a good first recipe to try using vanilla bean ("what? you've never used vanilla bean???" - No, I have not.)

Anonymous said...

So simple but elegant. Wouldn't mind having a couple with my morning coffee.