Monday, December 22, 2008

Pancetta and Cinnamon Waffles

A few days ago, my friend Raul suggested another chicken and waffle brunch. How could I resist? I'm on vacay! Of course, I knew we wouldn't do a whole chicken and waffle ordeal, but I wanted to do something special before we left on our respective trips (Daul to Mexico and me to Hawaii). I saw this recipe last week on Giada's new show. By the way, I have officially decided that Giada as a person bugs me, but her recipes tend to be excellent so I will continue to make them. This was another good one. Using a mix certainly helped because after all the cooking I did on Saturday, I wasn't really in the mood to create waffle genius. Raul picked up the gluten free waffle mix from Trader Joes which ended up being pretty good. The recipe doesn't call for sugar in the mix so the maple syrup (which I personally don't normally go for), added to the recipe. We used Vermont maple syrup from Dan's home town because we roll local like that :). This is a very easy and straightforward recipe. The only thing that bothered me a bit was that the pancetta mostly sunk to the bottom of the waffle batter so the last few waffles had most of the pancetta. No worries though, Raul cooked up some bacon to add some more pork to the menu. It was really good and filling...now if only I could become an expert at the new Raving Rabbids game, it would have been a perfect day.





Pancetta and Cinnamon Waffles
(From Giada De Laurentiis)

1/2 cup chopped walnuts
4 ounces pancetta, diced
1 package Trader Joe's waffle mix
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup maple syrup

Special Equipment: a Belgian or conventional waffle iron

Preheat and lightly grease a waffle iron.

Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until brown and crispy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the pancetta to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to cool.

In a large mixing bowl, combine waffle mix, eggs, vegetable oil, water, cinnamon, and salt. Using a whisk, blend the ingredients together until smooth. Stir in the pancetta. Pour the batter, using the amount recommended by the waffle iron manufacturer's instructions, into the preheated waffle iron. Cook waffles for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown.

Place waffles onto serving plates. Sprinkle with the chopped walnuts and drizzle with maple syrup. Serve immediately.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Chicken, waffles and apple pecan pie--you're speaking my language, girl! When's supper?

Diana said...

I feel the same way about Giada! It kind of bugged me when she called her self "romantic and sensual" in that one interview. She totally dissed Mario Batali! Yes, he's got some extra padding and isn't the most attractive chef in the kitchen, but he's Mario Batali!!! He doesn't need to be sensual -- his food is sensual enough for both of them!

Anyway, yes, Giada is a bit of a question mark for me, but I do love her recipes. I would be curious to try that brie and chocolate panini that she showed on Oprah!

Erica said...

noooo Giada bugs you guys? I love her...sorry!

This sounds like a totally interesting combo

Esi said...

Diana, I think that's what it is!! I mean really, how could she diss Mario?! He's like a king. That chocolate and brie thing does sounds like a weirdly good combo though :)

Yeah Erica, she just bugs a bit but I still watch her show and of course make her recipes :)

Heather said...

mmmm. waffles and pancetta! i just love pancetta. what a yummy combo.

vanillasugarblog said...

Oh yes you are Hawaii bound. Lucky you.
I love this flavor combo here.
You are truly cooking up a storm. Who gets all these leftovers while you're away? LOL!

Reeni said...

These look so good, Esi. Sweet and savory is so delicious together. It's good to hear your enjoying your vacay!

Darius T. Williams said...

So - here's what I'm thinking...I could TOTALLY go for this right now. Great job!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Esi said...

You guys are so wonderful!! These waffles are really good. I would probably add even more pancetta next time.

Dawn - unfortch, there are no leftovers. The boys ate all the waffles!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! Who could resist savory and sweet in this combo? And what bugs you about Giada? I love her, because she's super spunky, but the cleavage has got to go...seriously. Cover those things up lady! ;)

Tyler said...

i do love giada...made her hazelnut cinnamon rolls yesterday :)
those waffles look delicious!

Esi said...

Evan - you know, it's not even the cleavage that is the most annoying thing. It's so weird, but I can't quite put my finger on it, just her overall presence. Like when she is eating with her friends and she has to explain every single thing in the recipe. I know, I am weird :)

Raspberry - she has fantastic recipes so I will keep on making them!