Monday, December 15, 2008

Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Galette in Rosemary Pie Crust

To say I was a waste of space yesterday would be putting it lightly. Sure, I made it to the farmers market and Trader Joe's, but then I came home and watched three episodes of Top Chef while wrapped in two sweaters wearing my Ugg scuffs. I was starving all day and seriously thought about walking over to Chaya to pick up a burger, but guilt and my low bank balance got the better of me. I came across this recipe because several food bloggers had been making it, so I decided to give it a shot and make it my afternoon project. I recently made another round of rosemary pie dough so I used that instead of the written pastry crust, but otherwise, I followed this recipe exactly. It is insanely delicious. I mean, how can you go wrong with sweet caramelized onions, butternut squash and cheese?! There was also a nice kick from the cayenne pepper (which instead of stirring into the onions, I just tossed with the butterut squash mixture because in true to me form, I didn't read the directions all the way through). Even with the pre-made pie dough, this recipe requires a bit of time, so it's best to save it for a weekend project, but seriously, you should try it. Can you believe there is only a little over a week left until Christmas?? I am definitely looking forward to an easy work week and then two weeks off!!

Check out the Menu for Hope V on Chez Pim. Find out what you can do to help people less fortunate...then...

Don't forget to enter the giveaway!!


Click here for the galette recipe. The dough recipe is below.

Rosemary Pie Crust

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
2 tablepoons-1/4 cup, ice water
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
Kosher salt

To make the dough:
For the pastry, mix the flour, salt, and rosemary in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the motor running, add the ice water; process only enough to moisten the dough and have it just come together. Dump the dough out onto a floured board and knead quickly into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to one hour.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

Erica said...

This look really yummy! Your pictures always turn out so nice! I am jealous ;)

vanillasugarblog said...

YUM! Savory! Oh yes, I will be printing this one.
I love this Esi.

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks tasty!

Heather said...

yeah... i agree you cannot go wrong with butternut squash, onion and cheese!! this looks beautiful, and the pics are lovely. definitely a GREAT alternative to takeout.

sometimes you need those days of sweaters, tv binges and some comfy slippers. i enjoy them quite regularly :)

Diana said...

Beeeautiful as usual!

I'm so glad you got to catch up on Top Chef a little! Yay for Bravo marathons! :) An excellent way to spend a Sunday!

The Duo Dishes said...

We'd actually like to eat this now. It's making us feel hungry!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great combination, and the rosemary crust sounds perfect for it!

Esi said...

Thanks everyone. I wish I was at home eating this right now instead of sloshing through the wet streets of LA. This is a pretty crappy time to be car-less here.

Diana - I finally caught up!! I just missed the very first ep because I was out and about, but I am sure I can catch it some other time.

Reeni said...

I love it! The combination is terrific and add pastry into the mix, YUM!!

Unknown said...

i almost have to make this, you know, to use up my rosemary :) hehe

Alicia Foodycat said...

How delicious! That would be such a great dish for entertaining vegetarians over Christmas - nice and special.

Anonymous said...

Wow.. this looks so yummy, but it's new for me. Let me try to make. Thanks for recipe.