Monday, December 8, 2008

Rosemary Foccacia

For the last couple of months, I have been baking loaves of faster no knead bread almost every week. I have done it so often, I don't even need to look at the recipe anymore. However, I have been noticing other recipes for breads that I wanted to try. Natalie of the amazing blog Hot Off the Garlic Press, recently posted this delicious post-Thanksgiving sandwich, but the bread recipe is what really caught my eye. Yesterday was the perfect day for cooking and baking. It was cool and gloomy and rain was threatened. I really like staying in and baking on days like that. To me, it feels more like the holidays than the eighty plus degree weather that's expected in a couple of days. I know, I shouldn't be complaining...I'm going to Hawaii for Christmas, but still. Anyway, I cooked up a bunch of things and have some easy recipes coming up for holiday entertaining. I feel like the holiday parties just sneak up on you and then all of a sudden you have like four parties in one day. It's tough being so popular, but I manage ;) Back to the bread. It's a really simple and delicious recipe. I only modified it slightly by using some whole wheat flour and sprinkling the top with some kosher salt. It didn't get quite as brown as I wanted it so I think next time, I may play around with the cooking time. Focaccia is really an easy bread to make and takes way less time than even the faster no knead bread. If you haven't tried it, you should really whip up a batch soon.



Rosemary Foccacia
(Adapted slightly from Hot Off the Garlic Press)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 package active yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup very warm water
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese

In a small bowl, mix together the white and whole wheat flours. In a large bowl, mix 1 cup of the flour, the rosemary, the sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons
of the olive oil and the warm water. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough of the remaining flour until dough is soft, and leaves the sides of the bowl.

On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 5-8 minutes, or until dough is smooth and springy. Take the first bowl and spray it lightly with cooking spray, then place the dough back in to rise. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until almost double, about 30 minutes. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.

Lightly grease a cookie sheet. Gently deflate dough. Make the dough into a big circle. Brush the remaining olive oil across the dough, while using your fingers, make little dents all the way across the dough allowing the oil seep in. Let the dough rise once more, about another 30 minutes. Heat oven to 400 and bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Grate the cheese on top right as it comes out of the oven.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I don't which one I like more--the bread or that sandwich...

Erica said...

Love foccacia- note to self- buy yeast at the store!

Diana said...

Mmm that looks so soft! It is crying out to be dipped in some balsamic vinegar and olive oil!

I'm so jealous of your Hawaii trip -- when do you leave?

Heather said...

ohhh that looks delicious!! i love rosemary. i make a rm flat bread a lot. and hawaii?! how awesome :)

Unknown said...

that looks awesome, too! I'll haev to make more since mine's already gone :) plus i have some dukkah to try out... and what better than fresh baked bread!

umm, hawaii? jealous :)

Esi said...

Diana, I'm going the 23rd to the 27th or 28th (mom made the reservations, I'm just along for the ride). I'm really excited, I have never been to Hawaii!

Diana said...

Oh how fun! I've never been either! Growing up in Orange County, my mom always said that there was no point going there! So we'd go to South Dakota to visit my grandma, again. ;)

Esi said...

Diana, that's hilarious. Hmmm, Hawaii or South Dakota? Tough decision ;)

inland empire restaurant and food reviews said...

That foccacia looks delicious, very impressive!!

Reeni said...

I have been craving Rosemary Focaccia for about a week now! How delicious! I love making sandwiches out of it.

Summer said...

Yummy. I've never made bread before, but I love focaccia. I may have to try this.

Sharon said...

Yum! Foccacia is one of my favorite breads to make though I can never spell it right! I love the recipe from the King Arthur's Flour blog. I'll have to try this one out too!

vanillasugarblog said...

Gorgeous! I have yet to make bread, bread with yeast anyway. It scares me and I have no room in my little kitchen.