Friday, December 12, 2008

Kale Salad with Parmesan and Lemon

I'm so glad I came across this recipe on The Kitchn the other day. I didn't pick up much at the farmers market last weekend, but on an impulse I bought a head of kale. I really want to make kale chips again, but they have now been requested for our New Year's Eve potluck/slumber party so I am saving it until then (really looking forward to that by the way!). This is a really good, easy recipe to make if you're having a dinner party and want a nice light starter. Just make this first, and then let it sit for a while to let the flavors come together while you get everything else going. Of course this recipe didn't call for pomegranate seeds, but I thought the contrast of colors looked pretty in the picture. Looks like Christmas, huh? I didn't use all of the dressing that I made, but I like this kind of dressing with spinach a lot so that's what I used the leftovers for. I hope you have a wonderful weekend full of holiday parties and cheer and don't forget to enter my giveaway!

Oh! Visit Tony's blog to see you know who on Ellen the other day!


Kale Salad with Parmesan and Lemon
(Adapted from The Kitchn)

1 small bunch kale, washed, trimmed of stems, and leaves sliced into thin ribbons
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved
1 lemon, juiced
1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Pomegranate seeds for garnish (optional)

Toss the kale with the cheese. In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice and olive oil and pour over the salad. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Let the salad sit at room temperature for an hour before serving. Top with pomegranate seeds before serving, if desired.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

The Duo Dishes said...

Kale is quite tasty. We bet it really POPS with the pom!

The Blonde Duck said...

You come up with the neatest dishes!

Diana said...

Too funny! I saw that on the Kitchn last Friday and tried to e-mail you about it, but my gmail was acting up! I am not at all surpised you stumbled upon it too! ;)

It looks just like a holiday wreath!

Esi said...

So loving the kale!

Diana - great minds! ;)

Andrea said...

I love kale although I've only prepared it once. this is a great recipe to have on hand during the winter when greens are about the only interesting produce to have!

Unknown said...

looks perfect for xmas :)

Reeni said...

What a beautiful dish for this time of the year, tasty too!

Heather said...

what happy christmas colors! the kale and lemon sounds delish... esp with the poms!

Anonymous said...

i think you've brought this dish to a new level with the addition of pomegranate seed. i'm a huge kale fan and always looking for new ways to make it. thanks for htis.

Anonymous said...

by the way... me and my husband decided we're doing this as a side dish to our christmas day dinner. thanks again for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

This is a really interesting and creative idea! It looks like a Christmas wreath.