Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Kale Chips

If you read this blog regularly (I think some of you do), you may be wondering what my recent obsession with drying out fruits and vegetables and calling them "chips" is. I really don't have an answer for you on that. I just like finding fun ways of getting my "five a day". Yesterday I said how I was kind of a waste of space on Sunday. I did do a quick farmers market run and I must have looked so bad the farmers took pity on me. I bought one head of kale, but the guy insisted I take two. All the better to make kale chips with, my dear. These are so easy to make and I am sure they are much better for you than the "vegetable" chips you can buy at the grocery store. There are so many ways to enjoy these with different seasonings too. They have a light crunch which is totally addictive and a nice slightly bitter bite. These were good right out of the oven (cooled slightly of course), and they were good when completely cooled as well. Some of them did not quite crisp up, but it was ok. This is my new favorite snack...for this week at least!



Kale Chips
(By Esi)

1 large bunch of kale (or 2 small bunches in my case)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Wash the kale thoroughly and pat completely dry with towels or in a salad spinner. Tear the kale into bite sized pieces, leaving out the inner stalk.

In a small bowl mix together the oil, vinegar, and a few dashes of salt. Pour the oil mixture over the kale and using your hands or a pair of tongs, toss gently to combine.

Spread the kale onto the baking sheet in a single layer. It may be necessary to do this in several batches. Sprinkle the kale with a bit more salt.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, turning once about halfway through.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been thinking of making these for a while, but for some reason never got around to doing it. they look so perfect! hopefully you'll be my inspiration to get my you-know-what into gear and go for it next time I fancy eating kale.

The Food Librarian said...

This is brilliant. How soooo healthy and yet wonderfully green. I also like how you made your persimmon chips! Since most people don't have a dehydrator, your method was perfect!! Yippee to the persimmon and kale!

Diana said...

You are so clever! I would never think to make kale chips! Or persimmon chips. But mostly because I don't really know what a persimmon is... :-/

Anonymous said...

I love kale, and I love vegetable chips - this is the perfect combination for me! The picture of them looks delicious, too. Sounds like a great snack - we're definitely going to give this one a try.

Esi said...

These were sooo good! I saved some to bring to work and they do not stay crisp overnight, but still weirdly addictive. I can't wait to get back to the market to get more kale.

Diana - persimmons are little orange fruits that kind of look like an apple, but are soft. Next time I will take a pic of one :)

Sharon said...

My roommate had a dehydrator a couple years ago and we tried to make chips out of everything! I don't think we were sophisticated enough to try kale chips but these look good & healthy!

Vicki said...

I love kale chips! Love the bitterness, the sweetness, the crunchy and chewy, all in one piece. Will have to make some again soon, thanks for reminding me!

veggie belly said...

Oh my gosh! I love kale..and crunchy kale?! yummy! I first thought this was deep fried, its so great that you bake them. I didnt realize they only take 10 minutes, I'm defenitely trying this. I had deep fried mustard greens at an Egyptian restaurant (Kebab Cafe, NY) and fell in love with the crunchy greens concept.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! What a great way to use ALL that kale I have gotten in my CSA pick up for the last 3 weeks!

(Found you on tastespoting.)

Esi said...

Vicki - glad I jogged your memory :)

Veggie Belly - I could not get enough of these!

Anon - thanks for coming by and feel free to drop in any time :)

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I love the idea of kale chips. Great stuff!