Friday, November 7, 2008

Apple Galette with a Rosemary Crust

A few weeks ago, I made a pot pie for Barefoot Thursday. While the pot pie was good, the real star of the dish was the crust that I had baked a few teaspoons of chopped rosemary into. I had some of the dough left and some of the pot pie filling left, but I wasn't about to make more pot pies because I don't really eat pot pies. I thought it would be interesting to pair the rosemary crust with a sweet apple mixture and make a galette out of it. This came out better than I hoped it would. I didn't want to use too many spices in the apple filling because I didn't want to contradict or overpower the rosemary crust so I just went with a simple mix of lemon, brown sugar, and cinnamon. The sweet mixture was a perfect pair with the flaky, salty, and pine-y crust. I like baking with Granny Smiths for their tartness, but if you prefer something sweeter, by all means use a less tart baking apple. I finally remembered the name of the apple I used in the pumpkin shortcake. It was the Arkansas black which was firm and tart, but definitely sweeter than a Granny Smith.


Apple Galette with a Rosemary Crust
(By Esi)

1 ball rosemary pate brisee
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and thinly sliced
Juice from 1 small lemon
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg slightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine the apple slices, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and cinnamon until well coated. Set aside.

On a lightly floured board, roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. Arrange the apple slices on the dough leaving 1-2 inches around. Fold the dough over the apple slices. Dot the cut up butter all over the apples and sprinkle the apples with more brown sugar. Brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash. Bake 20-25 minutes until the crust is golden.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I don't care what you call it--apple and crust whatever looks wonderful to me!

The Food Librarian said...

Oh, these look sooooo good. The rosemary crust is so creative!

Andrea said...

How wonderful. You've really hit on something with the rosemary crust. I think the fruit/herb combination is very under-appreciated but almost always delicious. Thyme is another one that usually goes well with fruit. Love it!

Diana said...

Looks beautiful! I'd say that's a much tastier application for a crust than wasting it on a pot pie! ;)

Katie said...

Yum! What a great idea. I love anything with apples.

Debbie said...

Looks absolutely wonderful. I like the idea of using rosemary in the crust. I still have quite a few apples left from another mountain trip and am looking for apple recipes!

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Esi, and delicious sounding. I love the use of rosemary in the crust; it blends so well with sweets and fruit flavors. I use it in a very simple, very French dessert, Rosemary Apricots.

Unknown said...

that sounds like a delightful combination :)

Becka Robinson said...

I've been wanting to make one of these for a while. Looks melt-in-my-mouth yummy.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Gorgeous! I recently discovered rosemary and apple together and I think it is the perfect combination! And quite frankly, I am all about the hot apple desserts at the moment.

Anonymous said...

I just made an apple galette about a week ago, but I'm eager to make one again with the rosemary crust! What a fantastic idea!

Anonymous said...

Apples and rosemary seem like an inspired choice! I love galettes because they are so rustic and homey.