Monday, November 3, 2008

Popcorn with Salted Caramel

Last week I got a wonderful package in the mail. I love food blogging!!! The fabulous Heather at Diary of a Fanatic Foodie sent me some treats for participating in her purple food event to raise awareness for victims of domestic violence. Included in my box of treats was a bag of Paloma Roja Red Popcorn. I have never popped corn that wasn't in a bag so I was kind of nervous, but it was really fun and now I want to pop all my corn in a skillet. That sounded a little dirty, huh? I thought it would be nice to pair the popcorn with a salted caramel, and it turns out...I was right. The salty sweet caramel was so good with the light popcorn. I do think that I would try this again (maybe for the holidays), but maybe make this into popcorn balls. Doesn't that sound fun?

Now for my random off-subject rant of the day...I hope you all get out there and vote tomorrow! I mailed in my absentee early last week! This a food blog and not a political one, but I think it is important that everyone votes and let's their voice be heard. My parents lived here for 16 years before they were able to have that right and it is not one to be taken lightly. If you are in California, I strongly urge you to vote yes on Prop 2 and a loud HELL NO on Props 4 and 8. Don't discriminate and take away people's rights!

Popcorn with Salted Caramel
(Caramel from Tyler Florence)

For the popcorn:
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
2 tablespoons canola oil

For the salted caramel:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 stick butter
2 teaspoons kosher salt

To make the popcorn:
Preheat the oil in a heavy skillet or pan. Add 4 kernels of corn. When those kernels pop, add the rest of the cup of corn. Cover, shake pan frequently. When popping slows, let steam escape and remove from heat.

To make the caramel:
Add the sugar and water to a small saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Once the sugar has dissolved and the caramel reaches a dark amber stage, add butter and salt and swirl to combine. Remove from heat and drizzle over the popcorn.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Diana said...

When I was a kid my parents used an old-fashioned popcorn popper to pop our kernals. At the time I thought it tasted disgusting that way -- I missed all the processed ingredients and butter!

The Blonde Duck said...

Hooray for Heather and sussies! This looks wonderful!

Heather said...

YUM!!! this looks great :) I love popcorn, and salt, and caramel! So, I'm pretty sure I would love this :)

Rachel said...

Yum, this looks like a great snack (with lots of napkins at hand) for a rainy day movie marathon!