Friday, November 21, 2008

Big Apple Pancakes

I was going to wait and do this recipe next week, but after a completely stupid day yesterday, I was in the mood for a glass of wine and something sweet. I'm so happy it's Friday, but wish it was the end of the day instead of the beginning. I'm glad I had this recipe to sweeten my night. This was really easy and surprisingly quick! I made a couple of changes to lighten it up. I used half whole wheat flour and nonfat milk. I used an 8-inch pan to make this and besides cutting one wedge out (for presentation purposes), I ate this straight outta the pan. What? It's just me! This didn't puff up as much as I thought it would. Maybe because of my modifications, but it was so yummy. I found the final product a tad too greasy, so next time I will use less butter. However, the top was nice and a little crunch with brown sugar and the apples were cinnamony and not too sweet. Don't you love having breakfast for dinner?


I have some serious baking and cooking planned for the next couple of days, none of it having to do with Thanksgiving so I hope you will be back to see what I have been up to. In the meantime, I just wanted to let you know that my feed issues seem to be fixed so those that were having problems with it before...well, I hope you're not having those problems anymore. Also, I got an award!! A little while ago Debbie at Mocha Me gave me the Kreativ Blogger award. Then, a couple of days ago, Reeni at Cinnamon Spice & Everything nice gave me the Super Scribbler Award. Coincidentally, Reeni's site is where I found this recipe.

I've never been one to follow rules, but there are some for the Super Scribbler, which I will sort of follow:

The Rules:
1. Post the award on your blog
2. Link to me for giving it to you
3. Link the originating post here
4. Pass it on to five deserving people
5. Post these rules for your recipients


Here's who I am giving it to (in no particular order):

Miss Marie
Eating Club Vancouver
Culinary Adventures of a New Wife
Mango & Tomato

Haha!!! I rebelled. I'm only doing four.

And the Kreativ Blogger goes to:

The Food Librarian




Feel free to pass these along however you wish! Have a wonderful Friday and check out this adorable video featuring my favorite artist Adele. I just got tickets to her show in January. So excited to see her perform again.

Big Apple Pancakes
(Adapted from Food Network)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large apple, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
Pinch salt
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
Ground cinnamon
1 or 2 lemon wedges

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a large ovenproof skillet (preferably with curved sides), melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Add the apple slices and cook, stirring, until tender, about 10 minutes.

Add 1 tablespoons of the brown sugar and a dash or two of cinnamon and stir to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, sugar, salt, milk, and flour. Pour this batter over the apples in the skillet, transfer to the oven, and bake until puffy, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix a few dashes of cinnamon and remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Cut the remaining tablespoon of butter into pieces. When the pancake puffs, remove from the oven, dot with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, and return to the oven to bake until browned, about 10 minutes more. As the pancake comes out of the oven, squeeze the lemon lightly over the top. Serve in wedges right out of the pan

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

Erica said...

Of course I will be back to see your other baked goods! I am so glad your feed issues are fixed! You were not showing up in my google reader until sometime last week! It was driving me crazy! This looks incredible!!! I may make some this weekend (yayyy). If we make something serving sized, we usually eat right out of the pan- it saves so many dishes!

Diana said...

Breakfast for dinner really is the best! What kind of apples did you use for it?

Oh and congratulations on the awards, my dear! Very very well-deserved -- your recipes and pictures have me drooling on a daily basis! Can't wait to see what you bake up next week!! :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

I made something sort of similar last weekend - and I think with the wedge of lemon you have nailed it. Mine was lacking something.

Esi said...

Thanks!!

Diana, I used a Granny Smith

Olga said...

Thank you Esi, for the award!!! I really appreciate it. Do the big apple pancakes come with it? :)

Unknown said...

i DO love b'fast for dinner. or lunch. :) i'm thinking i want this for dinner...

Anonymous said...

I used to make a puffed apple pancake years ago for my children. Wow, did your post ever bring back fond memories. I showed my 27 year old daughter the picture and she said she wanted me to make it for her. I told her she could make it, but, she said it wouldn't taste as good. I guess that is a compliment, or that she is just extremely lazy! Anyway, I am going to make this for her. Thanks.

Esi said...

Olga - sure! How soon can you make it to LA :)

Lynn - I hope your daughter likes it as much as I did.

Ttfn- you should totally have this for dinner..or lunch.

Heather said...

ohhh. that looks good :) i was considering breakfast for dinner tonight, but didn't really have any breakfast supplies ;) this looks so, so tasty! i would have eaten it out of the pan, too! who likes dishes?!?!

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

Oh wow! Thanks for the award! We'll try to post it *fairly* soon. =)

The Food Librarian said...

Esi, congrats on your much deserved awards! I'm honored you passed one onto me. Thank you so much. I love reading your blog. Everything you make looks delicious! Also, I applaud your political activism!

test it comm said...

Those apple pancakes look great! Congrats on the awards! They are well deserved.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

And that my dear is why you're a creative blogger! Love the Apple pancake. I was wondering why I couldn't set you up on my blogroll on my site. But I tried it again after the 15th time, and it worked. Whatever you did, it's working fine now and I can talk to you all the time. Good job Esi.

veggie belly said...

These are beautiful pancakes and a great way to end the week! Congrats on the awards :)

Paula said...

Congrats on your awards! I love breakfast for dinner! I've never made anything like it. Hmmm ... it's late at night and I'm hungry ... :-)

Becka Robinson said...

Aw, thanks ESI!!!!!

Esi said...

Aw, you guys are so nice! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

what a great looking pancake! i might make these for thanksgiving breakfast! thanks for sharing such a great recipe :)

CECIL said...

I wonder if I can make this without baking it in oven. I am heading out for some vacation and there wont be oven there - and boy, this sounds just awesome.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

The pancakes look fabulous! And thanks for the award! I've been so behind on my blogwork recently. I hope to catch up soon.

pg auto said...

pg auto เครดิต ฟรี แจกจริงกดรับ เครดิต ฟรี pg slot ได้ด้วยตัวเอง ชื่นชอบคิดโปรโมชั่นดีๆมาเพื่อลูกค้าที่น่ารักน่าชังของเราเสมอ แต่บทนี้เราจะมากมายล่าวถึงประเด็นการแจกเครดิตฟรีแบบไม่ต้องฝากเลย