Monday, November 17, 2008

Jazzed Up Black Bean Dip

Things I did this weekend (in no particular order): watched TV, rallied for equal rights with my friends, painted my finger and toenails a lovely red color, got my hair did, farmers marketed, and did a monster Trader Joes run. You may be wondering where I found time to eat during all of that. The truth is, while I am a huge advocate of eating whole meals and making things from scratch, once in a while, I have to take the easy way out. I found this old can of Trader Joes bean dip in my apartment and figured I had to use it soon (mostly because the sell-by date was unclear). Of course in true to me-self, I had to make some major upgrades and serve it with the good chips. I added some spices and things and this was the perfect food to kick back with on this particular Friday. Is it just me or does it seem like the purpose of every week is to reach the weekend? Well hope you all had a lovely one and that you stick around to see what I will bring you the rest of this week. I have a date with the Genius Bar at the Apple store tonight, so hopefully my computer issues will be resolved too!

If you have been affected by the wildfires raging in Southern California, my thoughts and prayers are with you.


Jazzed Up Black Bean Dip
(By Esi)

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 green onion, sliced, reserve some for garnish
1/2 can Trader Joes black bean dip
Juice from 2 limes (I used really small, difficult to juice limes, you may find that one lime is fine)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Kosher salt
Tortilla chips for serving

In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and green onions and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the bean dip and spread all over so that it can heat evenly. Add the lime juice and red pepper flakes and mix until it is well combined.

When the bean dip is heated through, add about a tablespoon cheese and mix until it is all melted. Season with salt. Serve warm, topped with another tablespoon or so of cheese and the remaining green onions.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

Becka Robinson said...

Hands down, black beans are probably my favorite things to eat, bake, cook, etc with. :) LOVE THEM!

Reeni said...

This looks really delicious. I love black beans!

Erica said...

I want to try refried black beans so bad. mmmm it just sounds awesome!Sounds like a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Yumm!! i have a can of those in my pantry... :)

Diana said...

I've heard great things about the black beans at Trader Joe's! I smell another TJ run in my immediate future...

And YES, I totally know what you mean re: spending the week waiting for the weekend. Is it Friday yet?

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of black beans, oh nooOOoooo. But, my husband is. I showed him this, and he said I should make it for him because he thought it looked brilliant! I gave him back the computer and said make it yourself!

I would have to say your weekend sounded eerily like mine. Rallied for equal rights, check, Trader Joe's run, check, painted toe nails, check. Not fingernails and no farmer's market. But, I did go to Costco, does that count?

Esi said...

Diana, I am seriously counting the minutes until the weekend. I have a feeling this is going to be a long week.

Lynn, you're hilarious. Hope your husband gets to try this soon. You should try it too :) We did have an eerily similar weekend!

maybelle's mom said...

good for you in rallying. these black beans look yummy.

Heather said...

i loooooove black bean dip. it is one of my favorite things, ever! this looks great :) and, YAY! you're showing up on my followed blogs!!! woo hoo!!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

That looks so great and even better that Trader Joes is like my second home so grabbing the key ingredient is so easy!!

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love TJs? I love their red pepper curry sauce, the Byliana rice packages you just pop in the microwave, the lemon wafer cookies... LOL! And I love Black Beans. So, this dip looks wonderful!

Paula said...

Wow, you had a busy weekend! My hubby prefers black beans to other varieties. I'll have to make a Trader Joe's run. YUM!

Aggie said...

I'm so glad I saw this post! I have been craving a black bean dip, this looks delish and so do those tortilla chips you have there in the picture! Where did you find those?

Esi said...

Thanks Maybelle's mom! :)

Heather - so glad this feed thing finally seems to be working.

Cathy - you should definitely try it. The dip is good on it's own, but I just prefer it this way.

Christine - I am obsessed with TJs and wish I could spend way more time there than I already do. Maybe I could work there...

Paula - I prefer black beans over other beans too.

Aggie - I got these chips at Bristol Farms, but I think a lot more grocery stores are starting to sell them. Sooo good!

Sharon said...

You're one productive lady. I can't say I've done anything productive lately...I was in Vegas for the weekend :) Lovely dip!!

Esi said...

Sharon, I am totally jealous. I haven't been to Vegas in AGES!

Olga said...

lol "got my hair did"...I have a friend from Atlanta who says the same thing!