Saturday, November 8, 2008

Persimmon "Crisps"


Hooray for Saturday!! I am totally exhausted from a week of fighting social injustices with my friends. In between the protests, I have found a bit of time to eat and cook. I wanted to focus on some other fruits than just apples and pomegranates that have been featured on here a lot lately. I love persimmons and they have been all over the farmers markets in the last few weeks. My mom makes an excellent persimmon bread, but I wanted to keep it simple this time. I have a potluck later today where I will most certainly eat too much and drink too much wine so I wanted a nice healthy something to snack on while I make a super decadent dessert for my friends. I have seen several recipes for persimmon chips or crisps popping up lately, but this one attracted me mostly for it's simplicity and the use of only two ingredients. The flavor of these came out really good. Persimmons are naturally very sweet so it didn't need any excess sugar. My only problem was that they were more chewy than crispy. Actually, they really weren't crispy at all except for some browned edges. I am going to play around with the cooking temperatures and times and see if I can find something that turns out a texture I like. Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend and if you're in SoCal, hope you're out enjoying the beautiful weather!

Persimmon "Crisps"
(Adapted from The Kitchn)

Fuyu persimmons
Ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Slice the persimmons as thinly as possible. Arrange the persimmons on the baking sheet in a single layer and lightly sprinkle each side with cinnamon (a little goes a long way). Bake for 10 minutes until slightly dried and the ends have started to curl. Flip the persimmons over and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the persimmons are dried. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

I have heard that SoCal is getting great weather, you stink, how unfair, I want to move back. Waaahhhhh!!!
Love that apple dish below this.

Becka Robinson said...

Thank you thank you thank you. I picked up a few persimmons at the market and had no idea what to do with them.

Unknown said...

yummmmmm i tried persimmons for the first time last winter and can't wait to get some again!!

Dee said...

I love persimmon bread so I'm sure I'd enjoy the crisps. But I'd really like them crispy so I'm going to wait for you to play around with them first :)

Glad you had a great weekend. It was pretty good over in Malaysia too.

Heather said...

ohh, cool! those look lovely! hey, i keep trying to add your blog to the blogs i'm following thing in my dashboard, but the updates never show up... do you know if i'm doing something wrong? all of my other ones i follow show up, but not yours...

Esi said...

Dawn - yesterday was incredible. 80 degrees and so clear. It was colder today, but I think it's gonna get hot again by the end of the week.

Heather - My friend is having the same problem. I think it's a Feedburner prob because the feed is somehow taking you to the feed bulletin for the blog. I'm not quite sure how to fix it though :(

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope your camera stops fighting with your computer! I'd love to see it.

a quiet life said...

took one look at this and have them in the oven now, great idea!

Micah Moves said...

Should the persimmons be super ripe (meaning ridiculously soft) for this recipe?
I'm wondering because it would seem difficult to slice. Do you leave the skins on, or peel them after slicing, or peel them before? I've only had one persimmon in my life, bought some more the other day and decided I don't like them raw so I better figure something out! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Those look so wonderful. As soon as I get unpacked in our new trailer house in Atlanta, I am going to try them.

Thank you,

Louise Wyers,
"therealchiffonade"
http://profiles.aim.com/chiff0nade

Anonymous said...

i just saw some persimmons at the store and wanted to buy some but didn't. these look great! now i've gotta try them.

Esi said...

Micah - this is better with persimmons that are firm. I used one that was firm, but the other was too ripe and difficult to slice so it became mostly mush.

Sweet Bird said...

These look so great! I just tried persimmons for the first time this year and fell in love.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm. I must try these!!!

Naomi Devlin said...

This is a great idea, I've just discovered dried papaya (not the candied kind) which is probably similar.

To get them crispy, you need to put the oven on its lowest setting and leave them in for a few hours, turning every hour or so. That way they dry out without the fruit sugars caramelising and burning.

x x x

Esi said...

Morgana - thank you!

Naomi - thanks for the tip. I may pick up a few more this weekend and try them that way!

Mansi said...

I'm always looking for creative ways to eat persimmons, and these crisps look perfect!

btw, it'd be great if you could share this for my vegetarian thanksgiving recipe event:)

MrsDocChuck said...

I made these for my husband, Chuck, but he found that they disturbed his fragile regularity

Ivy said...

These are gorgeous!