Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Vibrant Greens

Here's another dish that could be a healthy addition to your Thanksgiving table. I saw this last week and knew I was going to be making it soon. Not for my Thanksgiving (I'm not cooking!), but for a tasty lunch before I leave. It's kind of a fresher take on that insane green bean casserole with the fried onions and mushroom gunk. I loved everything about this dish. The green beans were crisp and fresh reminding me of how I used to snack on green beans from my mom's garden back in high school. It took me a little longer than the recommended 7-10 to get my leeks to the crispy point. I almost gave up, but I am glad I let them get there. The only change I would make in this is to use less dill. I found 1/3 of a cup to be a bit much. I will probably do 1/4 cup next time. You can find the original recipe here. Are you making anything special for your Thanksgiving?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Esi, I like this version the the grean bean Thanksgiving dish. Who says you can't take the old and make it new again? Sweetie, may you have a glorious Thanksgiving weekend with your loved ones.

Unknown said...

hehe, are you green yet? just kidding, this looks good enough to eat!

have a fabulous holiday!!

Erica said...

This looks so beautiful! I love 101 cookbooks! Such a great blog! Thanks for sharing ;)

Diana said...

Haha I totally saw that recipe on 101 Cookbooks the other day! :) Yours looks so yummy! And much healthier than that mushroom casserole fried onion monstrosity!

I'm going to be making the waldorf salad recipe for my family, along with a dessert-esque sweet potato praline casserole that is so evil and so delicious! Mmmm Thanksgiving...

Hope you have a lovely one! :)

Heather said...

yum, this sounds great! i love green beans. they're also nick's favorite veggie, and i think he'd particularly like these. happy thanksgiving :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great side dish! I'm not cooking Thanksgiving either this year, but I'll have to look forward to trying this soon alongside something like roast chicken. :-)

The Blonde Duck said...

I've actually never eaten the green beans with onion rings. I don't know why, mom just never fixed it. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Reeni said...

I really dislike those green bean casseroles, they are not a traditon in my family! And I'm thankful for that. I would of never thought to pair dill with string beans! I'm intrigued about how that would taste. I made a cheesecake today for tomorrow, my Mom will do most of the cooking, I'll just help her out with the cutting and chopping. But I am trying turnips for the first time. Happy Thanksgiving!

Esi said...

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and eat too much!!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I'm loving all the greenery! And I'd take this over green bean casserole.

Leslie said...

Ohhh yes..this does look much better than the gunky normal green beans