Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Waldorf Salad

Happy post election day!!! I am mostly happy with how things turn out and interested to see the changes in our country in the coming months. I am also happy that people turned out to vote in record numbers which is just so incredible! I am lastly happy that the election is over and we can move on as a country. Now, for the food. So, lucky for me, not everyone is completely sick of seeing pomegranate recipes from me. The ever talented Diana from Diana Takes a Bite sent me this recipe for her family's Waldorf salad. One of the key things was that the salad didn't use mayonnaise, but Diana also suggested that I replace the dried cranberries with pomegranate seeds. How could I say no?? I halved the amount of the recipe which made one big salad for my work lunch. This was fantastic! I loved the crunch factor in this salad and the tart apples and pomegranate paired perfectly with the mellow walnuts and celery. The dressing was sweet, but not cloyingly sweet and I am thinking about using it as a dressing for another type of salad. So many thanks to Diana for sending me the recipe and if any of you have a recipe you would like to see me try, please send it my way! I'm also going to be sending this to the POM Fresh Contest at POM Wonderful.


Waldorf Salad
(From Diana's family recipe)

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
1/3 cup celery
1/4 cup walnuts
6 tablespoons pomegranate seeds from one POM Wonderful pomegranate
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon canola oil
3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, oil, and vinegar. In a separate bowl, toss the apples, celery, and pomegranate seeds. Toss the apple mixture with the honey mixture and refrigerate for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, bring to room temperature for 30 minutes. Toss in the walnuts and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

Heather said...

i love waldorf salad. it always reminds me of my mom. the addition of pomegranate seeds is lovely!

Diana said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe! I'm going to have to try mine with pomegranites now! :) I also think it would be great with cubed grilled chicken and feta or goat cheese sprinkled in. Maybe served in a butter lettuce leaf to make it extra fancy! ;)

The Blonde Duck said...

Yum! Perfect for an after election day lunch!

Sharon said...

I really need to start cooking with pomegranate seeds. This look delish!

Esi said...

Thanks!

Diana - I think all of those things would be great additions to this salad. Serve it up at a dinner party and your guests will praise the ground you walk on :)

Unknown said...

I love the simplicity of this, and how delicious it turns out. thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

Yum :)

CECIL said...

I have always loved Waldorf Salad - never tried it with pomegranate seeds though. It sounds like such a nice addition to it.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Wow! Leaving the mayonnaise out makes this the perfect salad, I think - normally I find it a bit cloying.

Karen said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! It's fun to see what other people do with the same recipe. I haven't made Waldorf salad in so long.. thanks for the reminder!