Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Pumpkin Oatmeal

Hooray!! My computer and camera are once again in harmony. Turns out it was my computer that wasn't playing fair. A trip to the Apple store last night and the (totally cute) guy at the Genius Bar fixed my baby. So I am back to my regular posting. It is so nice to not have to drag my camera and cables to work everyday so I can upload pictures. Anyway...I saw this recipe last week and knew it was going to be in my meal plan in the near future. Normally my weekday breakfasts consist of an egg, toast, and a piece of fruit. Kind of boring. I love oatmeal, but don't cook it much because I don't buy milk regularly. This was delicious. I love the pumpkin flavor (and color). I upped the amount of cinnamon because I love cinnamon. Also, I have some vanilla sugar that I made recently so I stirred a little of that in to the oatmeal and topped it with what I had on hand. Hence the pom seeds. If you are pressed for time in the mornings, make the oatmeal the night before and then reheat it before you add the toppings. It's finally starting to cool down in So Cal and the firefighters are gaining control on the wildfires. To find out how you can donate to the relief fund, click here.


Pumpkin Oatmeal
(Adapted from Dinners for a Year and Beyond)

Makes 1 serving

1 cup milk (I used nonfat)
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
Pomegranate seeds
Chopped walnuts
Brown sugar for sprinkling

Bring milk and salt to a boil. Stir in the oats. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the cinnamon, pumpkin, and vanilla sugar and cook an additional 2-8 minutes until the oatmeal reaches desired consistency.

Top oatmeal with pomegranates, walnuts, and a sprinkling of brown sugar.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Paula said...

LLLLOOOVVVEEE Oatmeal! You know, I've not tried pom seeds yet. They were on sale at the store this weekend, but I was a tad intimidated by them. I bet this oatmeal tasted great! Between the pumpkin, cinnamon, and nuts, I bet it was like eating a sweat bread! YUM!

Paula said...

OH NO! I meant to type in SWEET bread, not the other thing! I wish there was an edit button! (Picture me with a red face!)

Erica said...

What a great breakfast! You should have asked cute Apple guy out!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Esi, hello. I love oatmeal. I was stuck in a rut always having brown sugar cinnamon flavored oatmeal, but now, I can have pumpkin. Good job my friend. Thank you.

Reeni said...

This looks so good! I was thinking of having oatmeal this morning, too. I have pumpkin and pom seeds in my fridge. I'm planning for tomorrow. Yum!

Diana said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE YOU for posting this!!! I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every single morning, and I've been meaning to scour the Internet for a pumpkin oatmeal recipe! I am definitely going to be giving this a try sometime very very soon -- though I might have to toss dried cranberries in the mix too! :)

Esi said...

Paula - totally ok, I knew what you meant :)

Erica - omg, would have died if I even attempted to talk to that guy about anything other than my computer. A girl can dream...

Teresa and Reeni - Hi! so glad you like this idea.

Diana - you should definitely try this with the cranberries. In fact, the original recipe called for cranberries and pecans but I didn't have those.

amycaseycooks said...

So glad you liked my recipe! It is a favorite of mine - i love the addition of pumpkin to oatmeal. I have had a lot of poms on hand lately so my next batch will be w/it.

Thanks for reading!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love homemade oatmeal, and this looks divine!

Heather said...

my computer needs a quick trip to the genius bar, too. last time it was more like the moron bar, though, because they totally screwed it up. oh well. i shouldn't complain. apple is usually great.

this looks lovely. i love pumpkin and have been thinking about pumpkin oatmeal since i saw it over at veggie girl. i love the use of pomegranate! so yummy!

Unknown said...

ooh, so excited, b/c as of your last post, they have been updating in google reader! :) this looks incredible!!!

The Food Librarian said...

Oh! I love oatmeal. I love pumpkin. This sounds perfect!!!!

Pearl said...

looks sooo good! thanks for sharing :)

Kelly said...

Yum yum gimme some...this looks divine!! Can't wait to get back and have a potluck!!!

Esi said...

Kelly, come back now. I will make it for you!! :)

Summer said...

This looks amazing, I needed something to get me out of my breakfast rut.

Ameet Maturu said...

Looks amazing. I do something similar with persimmions instead of pumpkin. Goes great with oatmeal! You should try it.

Alicia Foodycat said...

This sounds so amazing! I wonder if I could make enough for a couple of days and take it to work to nuke (I can't do breakfast first thing in the morning).