Wednesday, November 12, 2008

POM Shrimp

Here it is! My weekly pomegranate recipe. Did you think I was done with them? I still have lots of ideas for these beauties and this is another one I found on the POM Wonderful site. I was drawn to this recipe because I love shrimp salads, but once I got to looking at the ingredients, I was intrigued. I had all of the spices in my pantry, but I don't think I ever would have thought to combine them all in one dish. The frisee was another gift I received at the farmers market. The farmers must have really taken pity on how awful I looked that day. I kept getting stuff for free! The smell and flavors of this were fantastic, but my only complaint is that the dressing came out a little grainy, I'm not really sure why, but it was still a fantastic dish. Hope you're having a happy hump day!


POM Shrimp
(Adapted from POM Wonderful)


1/4 cup POM Wonderful Pomegranate Juice
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspooons mustard seeds
1 shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 large shrimp (1 1/4 pounds), peeled and de-veined
1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Kosher salt
1 packed cup light-colored frisee (chicory), heavy stems removed, leaf portion torn into 2-inch pieces
Pomegranate seeds for garnish

In a large skillet, combine 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil with vegetable oil, coriander, cumin, pepper and mustard seeds, shallots and garlic. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring for 4 minutes. Raise heat and stir in the shrimp and cook, turning and stirring, for 3 minutes, or until shrimp are opaque.

Reduce heat. Stir in the pomegranate juice, vinegar and salt. Cook, stirring and scraping bottom of pan, for 1 minute. Stir in remaining sesame oil.

Place 1/2 cup frisee on each plate. Top with shrimp, and drizzle sauce around plate. Sprinkle with pomegranate arils.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Diana said...

You and your POM juice! :) Looks like another winner!

So rumor has it that Red Mango isn't the only fro-yo outlet dipping its toe in pomegranate -- Pinkberry just rolled out the flavor too! Everyone is going POM wild! :)

Esi said...

I know! I heard about Pinkberry today too. Totally insane, although this weekend is going to be perfect weather for Pinkberry.

Joie de vivre said...

Beautiful colors!

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

Beautiful and delicious sounding! One thing I might consider is substituting fresh cilantro at the end for the ground coriander. But wow.

The Food Librarian said...

Yummy! I love poms and shrimp. What a great combo. And I can't wait to try the pom flavor at pinkberry too!

Heather said...

again, i missed so many posts! the kale chips look amazing! i love the idea!! this shrimp looks delicious, too. i'll bet the pomegranate perfectly compliments the shrimp flavor and texture. yum!

Unknown said...

free stuff at the farmers market?? lucky you!!! :) i'm just trying to eat more shrimp, so i'll have to try it in a salad...

vanillasugarblog said...

Mmmm. Girl you are so very creative.
You guys are so lucky to have Pinkberry! Wahhhh, not fair.
Anywho, Esi another fine creation here.

test it comm said...

Nice salad!