Sunday, November 23, 2008

Mint Cream Brownies

I went to a birthday party last night and even though the Evite promised cupcakes, I still wanted to bring something from me. The birthday girl is a former coworker who I think I see more of now that I don't work with her. She also reads my blog so of course I wanted to make a little treat and write about it! Shout out! By the way, am I odd in thinking that a 10PM start time for a party is really late? Maybe it's just my advancing years, but I had to attempt a nap before going out! This is another recipe I spotted on TasteSpotting and knew I had to make soon. After a quick trip to The Grove, I came home and got to work. By the way, I am so glad I went to the mall now and not next weekend. It was already crazy with pre-Christmas shoppers! This was pretty simple to make, but I had to reheat the chocolate mixture because the first time I made it, it was more of a solid mass than a pourable liquid. Also, I used my new 9-inch baking pan, but I think an 8-inch pan would have been better. I barely had enough batter to cover the top, but I think the peppermint creams sticking out of the top add character. Right? These were really good. They were more cakey than I like my brownies to be, but the mint creams added a touch of the chewiness that I like. I got my mint creams at Trader Joes which are normally something I like to pop in the freezer and have whenever I have a chocolate mint craving (like every other day).


Mint Cream Brownies
(From Coconut and Lime)

Dark chocolate peppermint creams
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs


Preheat oven to 350. Spray with baking spray or grease and flour one 9 inch baking pan. In a saucepan, melt the butter, cocoa and chocolate together over low heat. Stir occasionally, and when the chocolate is nearly melted, remove from heat. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.

In a small bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking powder. In a separate bowl, beat together the brown sugar, sugar, eggs and vanilla until frothy. Slowly stream the chocolate mixture into the eggs and mix to combine. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients and mix until the batter is thick and glossy. Pour half into prepared pan. Top with peppermint patties, then top with remaining batter. Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before slicing and serving.


So, like I mentioned, Tony and I went shopping yesterday. I picked up this kick ass pair of shoes that I am sooo excited about. They are so me, playful, silly, and totally fun. Dontcha think?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

aleta meadowlark said...

My sister's signature dessert are mint brownies . . . I'd be willing to bet yours are better. =)

And whoah! Did you find those shoes at DSW? I think my friend had talked about possibly getting them, but when we went they were gone. =(

Adi said...

love love love the shoes!!! think i may need some. but the pink and blue are so cute too!

Erica said...

haha cute shoes!!!! Loving them! I need to stop reading your blog, it makes me drool.

Esi said...

Aleta - I got the shoes at Nordstrom, but I spotted them online first. I am so excited about them, I never want to take them off!

Adi, you should totally get them! You will be the coolest person in your hood.

Erica, haha. Don't stop reading!!

Reeni said...

Mmmm delicious brownies, I love candy in them. Great idea about freezing the mints, yum! Love the shoes, too.

vanillasugarblog said...

rock those shoes girl! work it!

Ohhh another thing I have to get at Trader Joe's, I love adding their stuff to my cooking creations.
Really nicely done here. I love love love mint brownies.

The Food Librarian said...

Love those shoes! I love brownies. I love mint. Must try!

Diana said...

1. Loooove the shoes!

2. Looove the idea of incorporating chocolate mint candies in the batter. (I bet these would be awesome with TJs mini chocolate peanut butter cups too!)

3. And looove that you think 10 pm is late! That's my bedtime most nights of the week. I was up till 12 last night and was in zombie -mode all day -- so pathetic!

Andrea said...

I love all brownies, cakey or otherwise, and mint is always a great addition. And I don't think anything beats sparkly shoes ;-)

The Blonde Duck said...

Shiny shoes and brownies! Coul things get any better!

Anonymous said...

Love the brownines AND the shoes! There's nothing like a good brownie or a good pair of shoes. Looks like you have a fabulous day!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love those shoes!