Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Garlicky Kale

I had a head of kale that I needed to use before I leave town on Thursday. Kale has recently become my favorite dark green. I really wanted to make kale chips again, but I also thought it would be nice to find another way to use them. This recipe struck me for it's simplicity. Even though I grew up in the Bay Area (among other places), I have never dined at Chez Panisse although Alice Waters is kind of a hero of mine for her philosophies on food. I have to say, this was really easy and so incredibly delicious. I probably use way more garlic than I should have, but I love garlic so I didn't have a problem with it. It's not like I had to worry about kissing anyone with garlic breath (wah wah). I loved the little kick from the red pepper flakes and the tart bite from the vinegar. If you're looking for something a little healthy to have with your Thanksgiving feast, you should definitely try this recipe. You will not be disappointed.


Garlicky Kale
(From the Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook)

1 large head of kale
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
Red pepper flakes
Red wine vinegar
Pepper

Remove the stems from the kale and coarsely tear or chop the leaves. Wash and drain well, but do not dry. Heat a large saute pan and add about a tablespoon of olive oil and the kale. Cook over high heat while stirring to rotate the leaves. Season with salt, cover and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. About 4-5 minutes. If the leaves begin to scorch, add a splash of water.

When the leaves are tender, push the kale to one side of the pan and add an extra drizzle of olive oil, the garlic, and a pinch of red pepper flakes to the bare spot. Just as you smell the aroma of the farlic, stir to combine it with the kale. Turn off the heat, add a splash of vinegar. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm or at room temperature.




Adele plug of the week! Miss Thang was on KCRW last week. If you have some time (like half an hour), check out her performance below!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Andrea said...

Ooh, this looks so good! I've really been meaning to get into the greens this season and I have to say, I'm not sure there's any such thing as too much garlic. By the way, I love Adele! I just discovered her about a year ago through some British friends. Isn't she great!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I love kale and this easy and quick way is my favourite way to cook them.

Unknown said...

yum! i have to try kale chips... must remember to buy kale next time at the store :)

Diana said...

I agree with Andrea -- there is no such thing as too much garlic! :) The more, the merrier! Unless of course there is someone around in search of a smooch (but that's not a problem for me either!).

Heather said...

mmmmmmmmmm. i looooove garlic! so good. i'll bet this is delicious. the vinegar sounds good :)

Reeni said...

I love lots of garlic! Sometimes my Mom will say have you been eating garlic? She can smell it on me. But I don't care. It's just one of those things. I love kale and this is such a delicious way to eat it.

Esi said...

Garlic makes things better, huh? I always put way more of it than called for in recipes, but I can't help it because it's sooo good!

Maris said...

I've never had kale. . .I love spinach and most greens but I've never had kale or swiss chard. I need to get on that ASAP :)

CookiePie said...

That looks fabulous! And I MUST try those pumpkin cinnamon rolls you posted earlier. YUM!

test it comm said...

What a tasty way to enjoy some kale.

Alicia Foodycat said...

This is such a great side dish! Th more garlic the better.