Thursday, November 6, 2008

Beef and Orange Stir-Fry

Last week I was excited to see a new vendor at the farmers market who was selling grass fed beef. I don't eat a lot of beef, but on the occasions I do, I like it to be grass fed, etc. Just trying to do my part to save the world. I realized I hadn't cooked anything from Everyday Food lately, so a quick browse through the Fall section of the book brought me to this recipe. This past weekend, armed with my list and my cash, I went to the market in search of grass fed beef. Turns out it just wasn't my week to find it at the farmers market, but I had already bought the rest of the ingredients for the recipe, so I picked up some organic, "vegetarian" fed rib eye at the grocery store. As usual, I halved the recipe, but only used a quarter of the soy sauce. It was good, but I felt like it was missing something so I ended up adding about 2 teaspoons of honey to the leftovers. I think ginger would be good in here too. To make it a little healthier I served it with brown rice and to trim the fat even more, try using a leaner cut of beef than rib eye.



Beef and Orange Stir-Fry
(Adapted From Everyday Food)

2 oranges
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 lb trimmed boneless rib eye, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
2 scallions, sliced

Into a small bowl, finely grate zest and squeeze juice from 1/2 orange. Add garlic, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes and set aside.

With a sharp paring knife, peel remaining 2 oranges. Slice oranges crosswise 1/2 inch thick, then halve slices; push out, and discard any seeds. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, toss meat with cornstarch until coated. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Working in batches (adding more oil if needed), brown beef on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes; transfer to a plate.

Pour juice mixture into skillet, and boil until syrupy, about 1 minute. Return beef to skillet; add orange slices and scallions. Toss until coated and heated through. Serve hot with rice.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

Rib eye? Hmmm. I have never made beef stor fry dishes with this. Interesting. Girl, I'm so glad to have found you!!!

Diana said...

You are right, I bet ginger would kick it up a notch! And maybe sesame oil and regular (not reduced sodium) soy sauce would help create more flavor too. I often use sirloin steak in beef stir fries and that seems to work really well. Hah, now I'm seriously craving a juicy steak...

Unknown said...

Wow! That looks delicious!!! I think I will definitely make it.

Esi said...

Dawn - I think the original recipe also said you could use sirloin, but I didn't see that till after the fact (still getting used to reading recipes all the way through, lol)

Diana - I am totally going to make all those adjustments next time!

Debbie said...

I don't eat much beef either but when I do I really enjoy stir fry...your recipe sounds very tasty and I would add the ginger too!

Erica said...

I thought I had added you to my google reader and I hadn't! I woke up this am thinking gosh...I haven't read one of her posts in forever! This looks awesome. I need to catch up on your past few!!

CECIL said...

Oh, what a great comfort dish. Maybe I should make this tonight. It's movie night!

Unknown said...

i need to make more stir-frys :)

oh, and i had similar problems with google reader, for some reason your website doesn't update there :( (i just signed up to get them emailed to me instead!)

Dee said...

I love beef stirfries - probably a little too much. I like the orange in yours. Ginger would have been a nice touch, and I like to add a splash of Shao Hsing wine too.

I wish we had more options for beef in Malaysia. Grass-fed sounds so good.

amycaseycooks said...

I was just looking a a recipe for orange beef. We are also cutting back on our beef meals so the ones I make I want to be really good. I have some tenderloin that I would like to use in this recipe.