Sunday, November 30, 2008

Dumpling Noodle Soup

I survived the reunion!! It actually wasn't as hideous as I thought it would be. Haha. Anyway, right before the turkey holiday, rain was in the forecast. It was pretty much the first semblance of fall in our perpetually sunny So Cal year. Since work was dead, my boss let me leave early and I knew I was going to go right home, get in my pajamas and make this soup. I know it can sound kind of funky to be using ramen from college days, but you toss out that nasty "flavor packet" and cook the noodles in broth. I make vegetable broth every so often so that is what I used for this, but chicken broth is fine too. This is the perfect, inexpensive way to warm up on a (slightly) colder night. It's filling and delicious and you can customize this so may different ways. I was going to add some shrimp to this, but I found the dumplings and noodles to be enough. It reminded me of one of my favorite dining out soups which is the miso ramen soup from Chin Chin. This definitely rivaled that soup in flavor and the price was way better! I'm about to head back to LA so hopefully Raul completed my farmers market list and I will have delicious, fresh recipes to bring you the rest of the week. Is it just me or did this long weekend go by too quickly?


Dumpling Noodle Soup
(Adapted from Serious Eats)

Makes about 2 servings

2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 scallions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2-inch sized piece of ginger, peeled and minced
4-5 dumplings, depending on size
1 package ramen noodles (flavor is unimportant as you toss out that packet)
1 bunch baby bok choy
Toasted sesame oil for drizzling

Bring the broth, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic to a boil over medium heat. Reserve some raw scallions for topping the soup.

Add the noodles and cook for about 2 minutes or until they begin to loosen up. Add the dumplings and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until they are warmed through. Stir in the bok choy and cook for another minute.

Divide among soup bowls and top with scallions. Drizzle lightly with sesame oil.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Reeni said...

This is a hundred times better than that flavor packet. I could use a nice bowl of this right now, it's freezing rain/snowy where I'm at.

Erica said...

I agree, this weekend went by wayyyyy too fast! It didn't even feel like a four day weekend! Soup looks good- you should send it in to ramen! I bet they would love to see their product being used in real yummy soups!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Esi, I don't care what people say, I like ramen. It certainly got my daughter through a lot of stressed filled nights when she didn't have time to eat during the day because of classes and work. This was when she was living in a dorm. Now of course, she wants mama to have dinner for her whenever she gets home. But, your soup sounds like the perfect recipe especially right after the holiday. Thanks sweetie.

Heather said...

mmmm. i love bok choy. this looks amazing, so, so tasty!! this weekend was way too fast :( it always feels like that on holidays.

The Blonde Duck said...

The soup looks great! I'm glad you survived!

vanillasugarblog said...

Mmmm...I need this type of soup almost every day as its freezing here.

Diana said...

Top Ramen was actually my favorite food when I was younger! I still sort of like the noodles (sans nasty seasoning packet) with stir fries and such. And the uncooked noodles are awesome on a chinese chicken salad! I bet your soup is fabulous. What kind of dumplings did you use? Or did you make your own?

Esi said...

This soup is good! You should try it. Especially those of you in colder climates. It was approximately 80 in LA today!

Diana - I totally cheated and went with store bought dumplings. Trader Joe's to be exact. I do have dumplings/potstickers on my to-try list though for a weekend project.

Unknown said...

it sure did go buy too quickly!! this looks fabulous :)

Aggie said...

I so wish it was still the weekend!

This soup looks great! I never make Asian based soups...this one looks delicious and I love that bok choy in it!

amycaseycooks said...

That flavor packet is tooooooooo salty for me. I will be on the look out for dumplings to make this soup.

Anonymous said...

So where do you get the dumplings? That seriously looks so good I want to dive into it. I love simple soups.

~Cat

Anonymous said...

My kids actually eat those ramen raw right out of the package as a snack! Myself, I don't like them much, but maybe this recipe will change my mind :)

Hannah and Carlos said...

This looks like the perfect thing for a cold and rainy day. Have you tried using soba noodles, or any other kind of Asian noodle, instead of ramen in the soup? I found these buckwheat soba noodles and use them all the time; I love the flavor and texture.
Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to try it as soon as possible.

Esi said...

Thanks Hannah! I think soba noodles would be great in this too, just cook them according to the package instructions.

tiger_eyes08 said...

If you use store-bought dumplings... Do you buy them frozen then thaw them in the microwave. Sorry, I'm super inexperienced, I just got interested in cooking (I'm 12)

tiger_eyes08 said...

Erm....meant to have a question mark there :) I'm a neat freak

Esi said...

Tiger, you can throw frozen dumplings into the soup. They'll thaw.