Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Carrots and Parsnips

Lately I have been thinking I should cook with other meats than just chicken, shrimp, beef, and bacon. Obviously those are my favorites, but it is nice to mix things up once in a while. My mom used to make pork tenderloin once in a while and I always liked it, but I have never tried it myself. I was originally planning on preparing the pork with a parsnip puree, but then I started scrolling through my Good Housekeeping cookbook. My parents gave me this book nearly ten years ago and I am still putting it to good use. It has so many helpful tips and lots and lots of pictures (which I need). The recipe calls for roasting the vegetables for an hour, but I am glad I kept an eye on mine as they only took about 25 minutes. It was probably because I used a baking sheet instead of a roasting pan. Either way the vegetables were really delicious. Nice and sweet and well seasoned. The shallots were my favorite part even though they got slightly gray in color after I took them out of the oven. The pork was really good too! It was moist and flavorful and for my first time cooking tenderloin, I think it came out just right.

I hope you all have happy, fun, and safe New Year's Eve celebrations. The past year has been really fun, especially with the birth of this blog. I have loved getting to know you all and sharing stories and recipes with you. Hopefully you enjoy reading them, and I look forward to sharing more and learning more from you in 2009. Happy New Year!!!



Grilled Pork Tenderloin
(Adapted from Epicurious)

2 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 (1-lb) pork tenderloin

Mince garlic and mash to a paste with 1 teaspoon salt using a large heavy knife, then stir together garlic paste, rosemary, pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl. Pat pork dry and rub all over with paste. Marinate, uncovered, at room temperature 20 minutes.

Pre-heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook the tenderloin, turning over occasionally until a thermometer inserted diagonally into the center of the pork reads 150 degrees. Transfer the pork to a cutting board and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.


Roasted Carrots and Parsnips
(From The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cookbook)

1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
8 ounces large shallots, peeled
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a roasting pan or large baking sheet, toss the carrots, parsnips, and shallots with the olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper until evenly coated. Roast for 25-40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Kana said...

Happy New Year to you too Esi!!

Erica said...

mmmmm sounds so good! I want to try parsnips

Reeni said...

This looks really good, Esi! Roasted vegetables are the best. I've enjoyed your stories and recipes, have another great year! Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

looks very comforting :) happy 2009!

Diana said...

I love love LOVE roasted shallots! I pretty much put them in everything now -- they add so much flavor!

Hope you are having a happy happy New Year's Eve! :)

outdoorgriller said...

That looks good I had pork tenderloin before and it was good.If you want more grilling recipes or if you want to take a look at the collection of tips I have for grilling you can visit www.cookingandgrillinoutdoors.com

vanillasugarblog said...

it's -5 degrees here (see the minus in front of the 5?). This dish is perfect for a day like this, comforting!

Anonymous said...

AS a graduate from the Peter Kump Culinary Institute in Brooklyn, NY, and a former Professional Chef and restaurant owner in Colorado, I can tell you for certain that the pork pictured here is too dry.

Peter Kump would insist upon juicy pork tenderloin, even though he would have approved of your choice of carrots and parsnips.

But as a SENIOR ADVISER to Mr. Ed Levine, the overlord of SeriousEats website, it is my job to seek out and advise amateur cooks.

Keep up your attempts, as I am certain that your skills will improve.

After all, I am 50 years old and I still don't know how to cook rice ... LOL!

The Food Librarian said...

Looks soooo delicious!! Happy New Year Esi! - mary the food librarian

Esi said...

Dawn, minus 5? I can't even conceive of that. It was at least 70 here :) Maybe you should move back to So Cal!!

lovelanguagetest said...

Good Housekeeping cookbook. My parents gave me this book nearly ten years ago and I am still putting it to good use. It has so many helpful tips and lots and lots of pictures (which I need). The recipe calls love language test for roasting the vegetables for an hour, but I am glad I kept an eye on mine as they only took about 25 minutes. It was probably because I used a baking sheet instead of a roasting pan. EitherUnlike tougher cuts of pork that need low and slow cooking (like this Slow Cooker Pulled Pork), pork tenderloin does not become more tender the longer it cooks. Pork tenderloin cooks in 12 to 15 minutes on a gas grill or charcoal grill over medium heat (about 350 degrees F)