Thursday, December 11, 2008

Orzo with Bacon and a Fried Egg

Do you ever have those days when you get home from work and are starving and have absolutely nothing in your refrigerator? No? Well, I do. Well a while back I found this recipe on Mango & Tomato (two of the best fruits ever!) and saved it for one of those days. I had just enough bacon, just a few eggs, and a box of orzo that I needed to finish. It came together quickly and was really satisfying. The original recipe calls for a poached egg, but wouldn't you know, I have never poached an egg in my life! I forgot to add capers. Lately my mind has been off. I forget to add things in recipes, completely ignore steps, and yet they still somehow turn out okay. Can I just say I am really looking forward to my two week break after next week? After I get back from tanning myself in Hawaii, I plan on spending some time in the kitchen (not like I don't do that enough already), and really reading through recipes and preparing things with more love instead of just the quickness of getting through it. For now, I just have to get through this week which has been the longest. Week. Ever!

Orzo with Bacon and a Fried Egg
(Slightly Adapted from Mang0 & Tomato)

Orzo
3 slices of bacon, chopped
1/2 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 egg
Cilantro, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until al dente, about 9 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large pan, cook the bacon until almost crispy. Add the onions and garlic to the pan with bacon and cook until the onion and garlic are tender. Season lightly with salt and pepper.

Add the cooked orzo to the bacon mixture and toss until everything is combined. While the orzo mixture is combining, lightly fry and egg until the whites have set and the yolk is slightly runny.

Serve with the egg on top of a bed of the orzo mixture and garnish with cilantro.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

Erica said...

This is quite a delicious looking dinner for having an empty pantry! Ours is getting empty as well. I can't wait to go to the store!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could come up with things like that. I am just not a quick thinker. I stand in awe of you... and thinking good thoughts about your quest for a sugar daddy.
~Cat

Unknown said...

i've never poached an egg before either!! on my list of things to do :)

this looks tasty ;-)

Paula said...

Many a time I've looked at a fully stocked fridge and not known what to prepare ... perhaps I need some sun time in Hawaii, too!! I love food like this. It sounds like a version of a carbonara with the egg and bacon. I love all things egg-y, so I'd love this for lunch or dinner! YUM!

The Blonde Duck said...

That's like the perfect quick dinner!

Diana said...

I've actually never poached an egg either! Or fried one. Eeks! I think that's something I should figure out at some point in the near future.

Looks amazingly awesome for something you just whipped up! Normally my default meal for those nights involves something frozen. :-/

Reeni said...

You may leave things out but your dishes always turn out fabulous! I am in serious envy of your dinners. Some words that come to mind when I think of your food: healthy, nourishing, light, fresh and satisfying.

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! It would be a great brunch dish and I definitely prefer the fried egg. This reminds me a pancetta breakfast risotto with egg on top at a local restaurant. mmm.

Heather said...

mmm yum, this looks delicious! i love orzo, and bacon, and fried eggs :)

Esi said...

Thanks you guys! The credit should really go to Olga for coming up with the combo. It's so tasty!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I have all I need for that dish! It might come out for dinner on Monday (I think I am flying solo Monday night).

Olga said...

omg, I just noticed you made my recipe (thanks to sitemeter!) :)
I'm so glad you liked it!