Friday, April 10, 2009

Asian Pork Tenderloin

Asian Pork Tenderloin

But Esi, didn't you just recently do an Asian pork recipe? Why yes, yes I did, but when you find a good recipe and you have all the ingredients, it somehow pushes it's way right to the top of your "to-make" recipes list. So a couple of days ago, I set out to make this. To make my life easier, I prepped the marinade in the morning. It only takes a few minutes. I somehow forgot the ginger even though I had some in my freezer. It was not a huge difference, but I definitely noticed it missing in the end product. No matter, it was still excellent without. The flavors really balance each other out. There is saltiness from the soy, a nice hint of spice from the chili sauce, and a mellow sweetness from the sugar. The rice was the perfect accompaniment for all the drippings even though I had planned on doing some sesame noodles. Since most of the prep time comes from marinating the pork, you can easily throw this dish together when you are done with your working day. I kind of wasn't paying attention to my clock and overcooked the pork by about five minutes. It was still good, just a little tough. Note to self, don't turn away from the clock!!


Asian Pork Tenderloin
(Adapted from For the Love of Cooking)

1/3 cup of low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspooon hot chili sauce (I used chili-garlic sauced)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 green onions, sliced
7 ounces pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat
Canola oil
Rice or noodles for serving (optional)

Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, chili sauce, garlic, and most of the green onions in a large zip lock bag, then add the pork. Seal and marinate in the refrigerator for 8-24 hours, turning the bag occasionally.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat some oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Remove pork from bag, reserving marinade. Add pork to pan, cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Place pan in oven, and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 155-160 degrees (medium) or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.

Bring reserved marinade to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Cut pork into 1/4 inch thick slices and drizzle with sauce and the remaining green onions.

Serve over rice or noodles

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

girl if you want to make pork tenderloin every night that's ok because we know it'll rock each and every time

Anonymous said...

this looks really yummy. Definitely going to try this recipe. My son will love me for it! lol!

Christina Kim said...

Ooh, I bet it gets caramelized and lovely on the outside with the brown sugar. Looks delicious! And as usual, amazing photography.

Erica said...

I really enjoy a good marinade! Does so much for meat!! Looks great (even if the pork was a little tough). Have a great weekend!!!

The Food Librarian said...

Yum. I want this for dinner. Looks great!

Diana said...

Pork is so hard to cook right! It's so unforgiving if overcooked. This still looks really great though. I'd eat it dry, tough or any which way!

test it comm said...

That is a tasty sounding pork tenderloin!

Pearl said...

mmm :)

Donna-FFW said...

Looks absolutely terrific. I can never have enough pork tenderloin recipes!! Thank you.

Lisa said...

Oh my, that looks so delectable, I can almost taste it! Gorgeous photo too! :)

Heather said...

i've tried this recipe a bunch of times, too - and it's really delicious! yours sounds yummy, too :)

Reeni said...

Delicious marinade. It turned out beautiful!

Foodiewife said...

I've been on a pork tenderloin binge, too! I even made your pork fried rice recipe, with leftovers, and it was delicious! I've been too busy to blog about it, but I will. This looks delicious!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks so tasty! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Yummmm. My mouth is watering! One question...what do you do with the reserved marinade?

Esi said...

I just updated the recipe. Forgot about the part where you boil down the marinade.

Sara said...

This sounds wonderful. I am so trying this out soon.