Thursday, April 30, 2009

Honey Wheat Bread

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

This week, I find myself baking my own loaves of bread from scratch. Luckily, I also have a pretty well-stocked pantry and I have been wanting to perfect my bread making skills so it was nice to try out this bread. In terms of texture, I am not sure I got it exactly right. It was dense, but not heavy feeling once I ate it and the honey gave it a wonderful flavor, but I am just not sure it rose as much as it should have. Also, I took the lazy person option and let my stand mixer do the kneading instead of releasing my frustrations into the loaf of bread. Either way, it was still delicious (which in the end, isn't that the point), and it made a fabulous sandwich that I will tell you more about later.

Honey Wheat Bread
(Adapted from All Recipes)

Makes 1 loaf

1 cup warm water (110 degrees Farenheit/45 degrees Celsius)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey, and stir well. Mix in whole wheat flour, salt, and vegetable oil. Work all-purpose flour in gradually. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for at least 10 to 15 minutes (I used a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook). When dough is smooth and elastic, place it in a well oiled bowl. Turn it several times in the bowl to coat the surface of the dough, and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.

Punch down the dough. Shape into a loaf, and place into a well greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Allow to rise until dough is 1 to 1 1/2 inches above pans.

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

Simones Kitchen said...

Sorry to hear of your financial troubles. This bread sure looks good to me!

Marta said...

Hand-kneading is very therapeutic, I recommend it ;)
When making novelty or fancy breads at home, they always turn out so good. But basic bread recipes... I don't know, they're never quite right for me. I have the same feeling as you, they don't rise enough and they are somewhat denser. But I still prefer their taste over store-bought. You know what has really improved the texture for me: bread flour. It really helps!

Anonymous said...

Bread flour does make a big difference. Or at least a half and half combination of some sorts. It helps add a little loftiness. Times are hard these days, so we should all try a hand at making stuff like this at home if we can. It's worth it!

Erica said...

I love homemade bread. I much prefer it to the store bought version ;)

Pearl said...

aww sorry to hear of your situation... hopefully it'll be gone soon!

and your homemade bread looks better than storebought!

vanillasugarblog said...

and I also love that you have the patience for making bread from scratch...I just do not, and I'm sure it's because of my very small kitchen. I hate paying $3.50 for a loaf of whole grain bread at whole foods, I really do.
I think if we put you on a food show that consisted of who can make the most and best out of very little ingredients in their pantry you would win--hands down.

Diana said...

Honey wheat bread is my favorite kind -- can't wait to hear about the sandwich!

P.S. When I get frustrated, I just scream.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love baking bread. There is nothing like homemade. Beautiful!

Kerstin said...

There's nothing better than warm, homemade bread - looks fantastic!

Heather said...

i struggle a lot with the texture of breads, too - but i do like making it! this looks delicious!

Hayley said...

I love bread baking, and you've reminded me I haven't done it in a while. Thanks for sharing!

Christina Kim said...

When life throws you lemons... make bread! It looks absolutely fabulous, crusty, and delicious. Kitchen therapy always helps me through tough times... whether it's through vigorously slicing something, or pounding a piece of chicken, or eating a whole tray of brownies... kitchen therapy does it for me.

Juliana said...

I'll definitely try...but using my bread machine. The picture looks great, very tempting.

Summer said...

Looks yummy! I've been wanting to try make some wheat bread. Lazy? That's what the stand mixer is for!

Reeni said...

Home-made is the best. And the smell when it's cooking is intoxicating. This is golden brown and perfect! Hope your troubles pass quickly.

Creative Classroom Core said...

Ive been waiting to use up the store bought bread in my freezer, so I can start making my own. This recipe looks like a great place to start! Yum!

Esi said...

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I will have to give bread flour a try once I can fit it back into the budget.

For now, the weekend may find me making more of this bread!

2frugalfoodies said...

a dough hook is indispensable! bread-making can be so much more rewarding than other types of baking. we have some good recipes for different types of bread, and we'll definitely try your honey wheat bread - it sounds delicious! happy baking!

Lindsey said...

I have had a similar experience when baking sandwich bread from scratch, it never comes out quite like store bought bread. Although I do have the no knead artisan bread down pat, so why should this be any different?

Unknown said...

such a great loaf!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the recipe.After several other recipes and unsuccessful attempts at bread-making,yours finally worked!The bread was lip-smacking delicious,my son couldn't have enough!