Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spring Cianfotta

Spring Cianfotta

Looking for springtime in a bowl? Ok, well maybe you're not, but if for some reason you are, the search is over. For a while now, I have been receiving daily emails from a fabulous website called Tasting Table. Not only do they have wonderful restaurant recommendations and inside tips, but very often they publish recipes from amazing restaurants in Los Angeles. That is how I have the tuna tartare recipe from my dear Chaya, the dill dressing recipe from my new fave Tender Greens and now this recipe for spring cianfotta. If you listen to KCRW and Good Food with Evan Kleiman, or if you have been to her restaurant, Angeli Caffe, you know how amazing she is in the food world. I was so excited to see this recipe pop up in my inbox a few weeks ago and even more excited to see all the ingredients at the farmers market the other day. With the insane hot weather we have been having, this is exactly the kind of food I am in the mood for. Nothing too heavy and lots of fresh bright flavors. Look at the colors here. So gorgeous. Since I like really crisp vegetables, I didn't cook them for as long as the original recipe called for. I also greatly reduced the amount of olive oil. The best part is that this is just as good hot as it is cold. Given the sweltering temps yesterday (100 degrees!), I was in no mood to eat hot food so I had this as a nice cool lunch and it was fantastic!

Spring Cianfotta
(From Angeli Caffe's Evan Kleiman)

Makes about 3 servings as a side dish or 1 large serving as a main dish

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
1 stalk green garlic (or 2 garlic cloves), peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 bunch thin asparagus, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 pound sugar snap peas, stem end and string removed; pods sliced vertically to expose peas
15 spearmint leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper

In a skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the leeks and cook over medium-high heat until soft. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute.

Turn the heat to high and add the asparagus, sugar snap peas and spearmint. Cook the vegetables, stirring frequently, until slightly softer than al dente, about 4 to 7 minutes; longer for softer vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Noodlegirl said...

Oh I love it looks so fresh and delicious!

Mindy said...

This looks so tasty! I'm always looking for new ways to cook up sugar snap peas...

Erica said...

Sounds perfect. I like my veggies more crispy too! I always undercook them a bit to keep that natural crunch. Enjoy the warmth

Carnivore Girl said...

I love KCRW's Good Food. I always get the best food ideas from that show. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Diana said...

I love Evan Kleinman!!! Angeli Caffe is one of my favorites. I saw this recipe on TastingTable too -- will have to give it a whirl! :)

Pearl said...

ohh, i love sugar snap peas!

Christina Kim said...

I love all the fresh green veges in this dish. And the addition of the mint, such an interesting twist!!! Spring has sprung!

Esi said...

It's another scorcher today, guys! This is a really nice dish so thanks for coming around to say nice things to me :)

unconfidential cook said...

I just started getting Tasting Table LA, and I love it! Am looking forward to getting some great recipes/tip from them. Perfect veggies!

Unknown said...

haven't listened to her, but i've been seeing her name pop up alot lately, should check it out! this looks AMAZING, perfect spring green :)

Reeni said...

This has a nice little spin on it with the spearmint! How delicious and refreshing!

chow and chatter said...

mint with veggies nice twist

The Food Librarian said...

Love it! I love the bread at Angeli! Sooo tasty!

Kerstin said...

It definitely looks like spring a bowl - fresh and delicious, I love it!

Anonymous said...

Perfect Spring lunch for the beautiful weather we are having in L.A. Thank U. Now I know what I am making this week for my work lunch. Mmmmm...

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Esi, I like this recipe. It's light and fresh and you're absolutely right, it's so Spring. I was looking for a good recipe for asparagus. Thanks sweetie.

Alicia Foodycat said...

I don't know what a cianfotta is, but this looks so delicious and fresh and perfectly seasonal.

Heather said...

i love this! so many fresh, green veggies! yum :)