Monday, April 27, 2009

Daring Bakers April Challenge: Cheesecake

Lemon Cheesecake Cupcakes

The April 2009 challenge is hosted by Jenny from Jenny Bakes. She has chosen Abbey's Infamous Cheesecake as the challenge.

The thing I enjoyed most about this April challenge was the freedom we were given in creating a cheesecake of our liking. I made these cheesecake cupcakes for our Easter brunch. Originally, I was going to do a red velvet cheesecake since our brunch had a Louisiana/Southern theme, but then I saw a recipe for cheesecake cupcakes topped with lemon curd so I decided to use the rest of my Meyer lemon curd and make lemon cheesecakes instead. I made very few changes to the recipe. I left out the vanilla in the crust and instead of using lemon juice in the cheese mixture, I used a few teaspoons of zest from the large batch of lemons that Raulito gave me a while ago. Also, instead of cream, I used a bit of sour cream and no vanilla. Making the cheesecake was really easy. I pressed the crust into the wrappers in the muffin tin, filled with the batter and baked. This was a straightforward challenge that I really enjoyed and I am pretty sure my friends enjoyed the results. Making little cheesecakes like this was a great way to enjoy cheesecake without too much guilt. The original recipe can be found on Jenny's site. The other Daring Bakers got really creative with their flavor combinations. Visit the blogroll to check them out!

Lemon Cheesecake Cupcakes
(Couldn't decide which plate I liked better, lol)

PS, Didn't meet Curtis Stone yesterday (unfortch), but Giada was nice. More on that tomorrow.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

29 comments:

Mindy said...

Wow! Those look like little bits of heaven!

Erica said...

Very nice! Love that you put lemons in the pic too! The curd on top is such a beautiful color!

Evan said...

Great job! I didn't do the challenge this month either. I hope I am forgiven by the DB Queens.

Christina Kim said...

Beautiful little cheesecakes! They look almost like little tarts. You just cannot go wrong with meyer lemons. Too bad you couldn't meet Curtis Stone!

Pearl said...

can't wait to hear how your visit with giada was! and those little lemon tartletts look so refreshing :)

vanillasugarblog said...

how did the meet up go?
I like the first plate better. I need to do more with lemons.
I would love to try these.

anna said...

Those are so cute and sunny! Yum!

Diana said...

I love the idea of personal-sized cheesecake cupcakes! They look so cute!

P.S. Is that dish cloth from Williams Sonoma? I think I have the same ones in red/purple!

Hayley said...

Beautiful pictures, and so Spring-like. Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to here about Giada!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've got the biggest craving for cheesecake now...

The Blonde Duck said...

I've got the biggest craving for cheesecake now...

Connie said...

I love lemon anything and those look like a perfect piece of summer!

This was my first Daring Baker's Challenge!

Olga said...

They look perfect for a tea party. I don't think I've ever tried Meyer lemons...will have to do it one of these days.

Marta said...

What a great idea, cheesecake cupcakes!! Very ingenius and I love the meyer lemon flavouring. Lemon pairs so well with the richness of the cream cheese, while playing up it's tang. It sounds refrehshing and delightful indeed :)

Esi said...

Thanks everyone. Hope your week is starting off well.

Diana, yep! I love my WS towels. :)

Dawn, well we didn't actually meet her, but just watched her get interviewed.

Connie, congrats on completing your first challenge.

Olga, meyer lemons are so good. Hope you can find some!

Heather said...

those look so sunny and delicious!! i want one!!

Kerstin said...

What cute little cheesecakes and lemon is such the perfect flavor choice for spring! Can't wait to hear about your chat with Giada!

Unknown said...

lovely cheesecakes!! and can't wait to hear about giada ;)

Anonymous said...

What beautiful little cupcakes of creamy cheesecake and Meyer lemon! Gorgeous photot too..like out of Better Homes and Gardens, and I mean that in a really good way :)

Lauren said...

Mmm, your cheesecakes look amazing!! I love your topping =D.

Rina said...

Definitely the first plate!

GREAT job - these look yummy. And your photography ALWAYS amazes me. :) You have fantastic lighting at your house.

Dharm said...

Those cheesecakes look just lovely! Bet they tasted great too... :)

Joy said...

Pretty little cheesecakes that looks so inviting. Ah, another W-S fan. That store is pure evil to me, I can't leave the store unscathed and empty-handed.

Thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting--I love it! ;)

ice tea: sugar high said...

wow.. that's beautifull. Love the curd on top!

Leslie said...

Love your lemon curd cheesecakes!!!
I think I like the plain plate the best

Unknown said...

These look perfect! I think citrus goes really nicely with this creamy recipe. Thanks for taking part in this challenge!

Jenny of JennyBakes

Chantal said...

Those are really cute!

Zoe Francois said...

I'm crazy for lemon curd and using Meyer lemons is perfection. your CCs are lovely and I bet they taste even better!

BTW your gelato has set me in motion to finally get an ice cream maker. It looks fantastic!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

i just made homemade danishes and the filling tasted just like lemon cheesecake, now i'm on a mission to make lemon cheesecake and of course who has a recipe for me you! hope it turns out yummy :)