Friday, April 3, 2009

Brownie Pudding

Brownie Pudding

I have had some pretty insane chocolate cravings lately and rather than deny myself, I thought I would make a mini version of Ina's brownie pudding that I have been lusting after lately. Besides, I am about to put myself through a brief period of denial (more on that later), so I may as well splash out when I can, right? This dessert comes together quickly so it's just a matter of throwing it in the oven. I probably should have baked this for about 20-30 minutes less than I did (I blame the FN site, tells you an hour in one part in and 30 minutes in another). Instead of a pudding, I ended up with more of a brownie cake, but that's not to say it wasn't good. Unlike my DB challenge from a couple of months ago, this was a delicious rich chocolate dessert that went excellently with the smooth honey ice cream that I paired it with. Instead of baking this in a large pan, I used two 4.5 ounce ramekins to have a little individual dessert. As I said, I overbaked these so they came out of the ramekins quite easily, but they were still delicious. I definitely want to try making this again to get the pudding consistency that was intended, but if you are looking for an easy chocolate fix, look no further.

It's Friday, go out an enjoy the weekend. I am heading up to SF tomorrow morning and may not have time to visit/comment on your blogs, but I will be with you in spirit and back on Monday. If you want to contribute to my race (which is this Sunday), it's not to late...click this link. Have a fantastical weekend!

Brownie Pudding
(Adapted from Ina Garten)

Makes 2 servings

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 egg at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Ice cream for serving (optional, but recommended)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly butter or spray two 4.5-ounce ramekins. Melt the butter and set aside to cool.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the egg and sugar on medium-high speed for 5 to 10 minutes, until very thick and light yellow. Meanwhile, sift the cocoa powder and flour together and set aside.

When the egg and sugar mixture is ready, reduce the speed to low and add the vanilla seeds, and the cocoa powder and flour mixture. Mix only until combined. With mixer still on low, slowly pour in the cooled butter and mix again just until combined.

Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared dish and place it in a larger baking pan. Add enough of the hottest tap water to the pan to come halfway up the side of the dish and bake for 20-30 minutes. A cake tester inserted 2 inches from the side will come out 3/4 clean. The center will appear very under-baked; this dessert is between a brownie and a pudding.

Allow to cool and serve with ice cream.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

22 comments:

Pearl said...

OH my gosh. i like how you baked it extra long so it was like a brownie cake!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

That would satisfy my chocolate cravings. Thanks for posting.

Donna-FFW said...

Oh My Word! This is utterly decadent. I love it. I want it. Looks marvelous..

Diana said...

You are totally killing me!! But I'm glad they turned out and you were able to satisfy your chocolate craving! :)

Hope all goes well in SF!

Anonymous said...

Brownie pudding, molten chocolate cake...same difference! We just made these, and you are right. The chocolately-ness is rich and so delicious.

The Food Librarian said...

Looks so great! Have a great time at the event. You raised a lot of money to help others! I'm sure you Dad will be cheering you on.

Nurit said...

Ina's brownies are truly rich.
If yours overbaked and are a bit dry, why not splash a little liquer on top? ;-)

Fearless Kitchen said...

This looks delicious! Have fun this weekend.

Marta said...

Ina is the queen of anything brownie, anything gooey, anything decadent, over-the-top, one-pound-of-butter everything! I saw this recipe on her show a couple of weeks ago, I have to say yours looks even more appetizing! Thanks!
M

vanillasugarblog said...

you should incorporate this pudding right into your ice cream. now that sounds good: brownie pudding chocolate ice cream.
have fun this weekend chicklet!

Reeni said...

I love brownies! This looks like a great treat for a chocolate craving.
We'll be with you in spirit, too. Hope all goes well for you this weekend!

Hayley said...

Delicious! Have fun in San Fran!

Unknown said...

wait... did you say honey ice cream???

GOOD LUCK & ENJOY your weekend!!!

angela@spinachtiger said...

Remember when brownie hot fudge sundaes were all the rage. I helped that popularity, so you know how delicious your dessert looks to me.

Sharon said...

I have no self control so mini servings are perfect! This looks so delectable.

Creative Classroom Core said...

Don't you just love Ina's recipes! This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing! Yummy!

Joie de vivre said...

I am with you on the chocolate cravings girl. These look wonderful!

Heather said...

ohhh. that sounds amazing but i am totally intrigued by that honey ice cream!

Gayathri said...

Yummy pudding

RecipeGirl said...

Recipes that serve only two are a really good thing around here!! Love it!

unconfidentialcook said...

I made this, too--Ina's recipe from FN--and I totally agree that it needs to be cooked less. I was so disappointed in mine....

Olga said...

That looks fantastic!
I'm sure that would satisfy any chocolate craving :)

I actually made brownies this weekend too, but from a box and then added lime icing to them.