Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Halibut with Pico de Gallo

Halibut with Pico de Gallo

One of the things that is not so cool about going away...even for a couple of days is missing the farmers market. It's not just because I don't get to flirt with salad boy, but also because I miss out on picking my own stuff to showcase over the week. However, I have some nice friends who in my absence will pick out the things I ask so that I can continue to bring you guys fresh recipes over the week. Unfortunately, I had put this recipe in my meal plan, but the tomatoes I was seeking were not to be found so I went with some on the vine tomatoes from the regular grocery store which were not as vibrant as I would have liked. However, this is a stellar dish. I absolutely adore halibut. One of my most favorite meals ever was at Mix at THEhotel at Mandalay Bay in Vegas and it was a lovely buttery halibut in a sauce that literally just melted in my mouth. This meal was almost four years ago and I still think about it often. I picked up some halibut a couple weeks ago at the farmers market and it was just a matter of a quick thaw to make this simple and delicious recipe. The quick cook of the halibut made it have that buttery texture that I was craving and the fresh pico de gallo was the perfect accompaniment with a glass of cold white wine. Bonus points for this recipe not using a lot of fat despite being insanely delicious.



Halibut with Pico de Gallo
(Adapted from Serious Eats)

Makes 1 serving

1 halibut fillet, seasoned with salt and pepper
1-2 small tomatoes, chopped
1/4 medium onion, diced
1 small jalepeno, seeds removed and chopped (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
Juice from 1/2 lime
Olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Tortilla chips for serving (optional)

Chop the tomatoes and onions and add to a bowl along with the cilantro and jalapeno, finely chopped. Add a pinch of salt, black pepper and the juice of one lime. Adjust for seasoning and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes, preferably longer for the flavors to marinate.

Heat a nonstick skillets over medium-high heat with 1-2 teaspoons olive oil. When the oil is almost smoking, lay the fillet in the oil to coat, then turn over to cook opposite side.

Cook, without touching, for one to two minutes per side, depending on thickness. Remove from the heat and plate, topping with the pico de gallo. Squeeze a little lime juice, crack fresh pepper, and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

Erica said...

Looks great! I've never had halibut- it is on my to try list (since I've heard its not toooooo fishy)

lisaiscooking said...

This sounds perfect! I love a fresh salsa with fish, and the pico de gallo looks delicious.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love halibut, it's such a great fish. I usually grill it.

Diana said...

I love halibut -- I think it might be favorite kind of fish! (Just wish it weren't so darn spensive!)

This preparation sounds delicious, and so perfect for spring/summer!

Heather said...

i love getting to go to the farmer's market, too. this looks like a wonderful recipe!

The Food Librarian said...

Looking so yummy! This looks fantastic!

vanillasugarblog said...

so wait you flirt with salad boy and beef boy? girl you are hooked up! love it. next time, snap a couple photos of these hotties so we know what and who we're dealing with. LOL

Esi said...

I suggest you all try this soon. So easy and delicious!

Erica, for someone who doesn't like fish, I think you should try halibut.

Diana, it was definitely a bit of a splurge, but worth it.

Dawn, YES! Well beef guy we mostly just stare at because he is really cute, but only at the market every other week. Plus, I am pretty sure he's married. Salad boy is the one we have more of a connection with and I will for sure try and get a pic of him one of these days...Just another reason for you to come back to so cal..hotties at the farmer's market.

Reeni said...

This looks fresh and delicious! I can't wait for my Farmer's Market to open!

Pearl said...

that looks like a great fish dish!