Monday, April 6, 2009

Chicken Satay Skewers

Snappy Chicken Satay

I'm making my way back from San Francisco. Hope you all had a nice weekend. The race went well and our team met and exceeded our goal of raising $10,000 for MMRF so thanks to all who supported our effort!! I didn't want to leave you guys starving so here's a little tasty something I cooked up last week. This is fabulously simple and perfect for any night of the week. Chicken satay is one of my favorite things to order when I get Thai food, but I have not tried making it myself. This isn't the most authentic recipe, but it's really good and perfect for when you want something quick and light for a weeknight. I let the chicken marinate for about 15 minutes which only enhanced the flavor and since I still haven't dusted off my outdoor grill, I did these inside on my grill pan. I personally didn't like the peanut sauce with just peanut butter and vinegar, so I added agave nectar until I got something I was happy with. It's all about adding and re-tasting for that one. This was perfect for me as a light dinner since I had a heavy lunch that day, but it would be just as great as an appetizer to your own takeout inspired menu.

Chicken Satay Skewers
(From Everyday Food as found on bloom.acious)

2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1/4 cup peanut butter
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
Agave nectar to taste

Toss chicken with sesame oil, soy sauce, cilantro, garlic, and red pepper flakes in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper and thread each chunk onto skewers.

Heat grill to medium-high heat and spray with oil if needed, cook chicken for about 2-3 minutes per side.

For sauce blend peanut butter and vinegar, add agave nectar and water if necessary for desired flavor and consistency.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Erica said...

Ah! So glad the weekend went well and that ya'll met your goal!!!! That is very exciting! The chicken looks incredible! Reminds me that summer and the grill are jusssssssst around the corner

vanillasugarblog said...

exceeded the goal huh? awesome!
I love chicken satay too, but I don't like to add vinegar to my sauce--I like it peanut buttery & spicy!

The Food Librarian said...

Looks better than a restaurant! Glad your team did so well!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Congratulations. These skewers look great.

Diana said...

Yum! You know me and peanut butter -- I can't get enough! :)

So glad everything went well this weekend. Can't wait to hear more about it!

Rina said...

Mmmm looks great.

2 things:

1. Your pics are always, ALWAYS gorgeous. The lighting = spectacular.

2. I am bookmarking this recipe! I've tried chicken satays before but didn't really like the peanut butter. I'm going to give it another whirl.

Creative Classroom Core said...

YYYYUUUMMM!
I was planning on making some satay on the bbq soon, as the sunshine is has finally arrived here. Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

i love chicken satay. nick's not a big fan so we don't get it a lot. but this has me wanting to make it (and hand nick a box of lucky charms!) looks yummy!

Kerstin said...

They look perfect! Yum - what a perfect light weeknight meal.

Esi said...

Thanks you guys! Even being gone for a couple of days has put me so far behind. Hope you all had a great weekend and thanks for coming by!

Mable said...

This is definitely a great recipe. I love meat on skewers so this is a must-try. I'll keep it in the Summer Recipes folder :D

Joie de vivre said...

I'm glad your race went well!

veggie belly said...

my husband will love this! i'll have to make this for him and a tofu version for myself :)

Anonymous said...

Looks Delicious!
I Buy Barbeques

Alicia Foodycat said...

Well done to your team!

This looks delicious - definitely one for the barbecuing season!

Leah said...

I made this chicken marinade for a recent holiday party and combined it with a sauce from food network. It was a hit and I am so glad I found your blog! Will be reposting about it soon on my own blog, gourmetgetaway.blogspot.com

Thank you so much! This was delicious!