Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Chocolate Cinnamon Gelato

Chocolate Cinnamon Gelato

Lately, so many of my posts come from inspiration I see from other food bloggers. Like this gelato that I spotted on Delectable Deliciousness. It's been a while since I gave my ice cream maker a workout and since I absolutely adore the combination of chocolate and cinnamon (see here, and here), I thought I would give it a whirl. I had just enough whole milk leftover from the hot toddy cake to make this so, like Jayme, I replaced the cream with the milk. I also left out the toffee bits since I didn't have them, but I just found these mini peanut butter cups at TJs that I ended up enjoying with a bit of the gelato later. So good. Is it just me or is food in mini form better? Anyway, I loooooved this gelato. It's rich without feeling heavy and the balance of chocolate and cinnamon is perfect. If you let the gelato freeze overnight, it gets a bit hard so before you want to eat it, I suggest letting it sit out for 10-15 minutes at room temperature before serving.


Chocolate-Cinnamon Gelato
(Adapted from Bon Appetit, June 2006)

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
pinch salt
2 1/2 cups whole milk, divided into 1/4 cup 1 3/4 cups, and 1/2 cup
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/3 cup coarsely chopped toffee bits/candy bar pieces (optional)

Whisk sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt in heavy medium saucepan until blended. Gradually add 1/4 cup milk, whisking until cornstarch is dissolved. Whisk in 1 3/4 cups milk. Whisk over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and comes to boil, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook 1 minute longer, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat; add chocolate. Let stand 1 minute, then whisk until melted and smooth.

Transfer gelato base to medium bowl. Mix in the last 1/2 cup milk . Place bowl over large bowl filled with ice and water and cool, stirring often, about 30 minutes.

Process gelato base in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions, adding toffee (if using) during last minute of churning. Transfer to container; cover. Freeze at least 3 hours and up to 2 days.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toffee is optional? No way, must be added. Toffee and chocolate are a great combination.

Diana said...

I've been dying to make cookies with those mini peanut butter cups. Using them in place of chocolate chips -- maybe tossing some peanut butter in the batter too? Yum! :)

Ice cream looks great and so refreshing!

Hayley said...

I have yet to make a gelato, so it looks like I'll be giving this one a go. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Erica said...

awesome-so yummy. I am a huge cinnamon fan but I'm not sure I've ever had it with chocolate?

vanillasugarblog said...

now that is a good picture. I can literally see how decadent that is. :::sigh:::

Katie @ goodLife {eats} said...

That sounds great! Chocolate is my son's favorite flavor and we were just talking about looking for a chocolate recipe.

Kasey said...

I've been giving my ice cream maker a serious workout these days. I, too, love the combo of cinnamon and chocolate. Might stir in some chopped peanuts in there as well!

Unknown said...

this sounds amazing. I bet this would be awesome with just a pinch of cayenne or maybe a pb swirl... mmmm :)

The Cooking Photographer said...

Ohhhh yummy. The texture on that gelato pic is amazing.

Amanda said...

Oh my that looks so incredible!

Heather said...

yum! that sounds delicious! i love gelato :)

Esi said...

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to go home and enjoy some more of this.

Duo Dishes, I still stand by the toffee optional.

Hayley, this gelato is great. Hope you like it.

Erica, cinnamon and chocolate are amazing together.

Dawn, thank you dear!

Kasey and Shannon, those both sound like nice additions.

Maria said...

I am loving this! Cinnamon and chocolate SOOOO Good!

unconfidentialcook said...

Those mini peanut butter cups from TJs are fantastic and I use them in so many desserts. Never made gelato...but this looks really doable and delish.

Marta said...

Chocolate and cinnamon have got to be up there in my list of heavenly combos. I think my favourite galato is cinnamon, and I've taste a few ice creams with choco-cinna that are quite good (Haggen Daas makes a good one), but I've never tried the gelato version, maybe I'll treat myself to this one :)

Reeni said...

So creamy and delicious! A nice little treat, love the cinnamon and chocolate combo!

Christina Kim said...

Such an interesting combo for ice cream!! If only I had an ice cream maker... maybe I'd do a spicy chocolate ice cream!!

Juliana said...

Never had chocolate cinnamon gelato...sounds very interesting and tasty. Great picture.

Jayme said...

Oh I'm so happy to have inspired you to try this out :)

cinnamon and chocolate are a match made in heaven!

Angela@spinachtiger said...

I just have to get an ice cream maker. Tomorrow. This has inspired me. I love gelato.

Simones Kitchen said...

Like you I love the combination of cinnamon and chocolate, so this icecream... I just have to have!! But.. I have no icecream maker... Next mission; buy myself an icecream machine and then make this icecream!

Memória said...

This only lasts 2 days?! :( Hmm, I guess I will have to make this when at least one other person is here. It looks yummy!

Zoe said...

aw man two of my favorite ingredients: chocolate and cinnamon. Looks to die for!

test it comm said...

I like the use of the cinnamon in this gelato with chocolate.

SinoSoul said...

I kinda resent the addition of cornstarch. You're making ice cream at home. Why the additive emulsifier? Use an egg instant and make custard?

The word "gelato" doesn't imply "do not use egg". *grumble*