Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Shrimp Saganaki

Shrimp Saganaki

I know I have mentioned this before, but about two years ago, I had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Greece to see two great friends get married. It was a perfect week filled with a LOT of food and a LOT of wine. One of the dishes that I remembered loving was shrimp saganaki so I am so glad I finally got to try making it on my own. It's certainly not the most authentic recipe for shrimp saganaki, but it's good. Also, it's really fast. Make sure you have tons of bread. My tomatoes didn't create a whole lot of juice, but there is still a lot of delicious-ness to soak up with the bread.

So today is Day 1 of my cleanse. Tomorrow, I will start sharing with you the food I get to eat while doing it. Wish me luck, but I don't have much confidence I will last longer than a day. Happy hump day/tax day! (yeah right)

Shrimp Saganaki
(Adapted from Food & Wine, March 2009)

Makes 2-3 servings

2 teaspoons each of extra-virgin olive oil and canola oil
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
Salt
Crushed red pepper
1/2 pound shelled and deveined large shrimp, halved lengthwise
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 1/2 ounces Greek feta cheese, crumbled
Crusty bread, for serving

In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and crushed red pepper and cook until softened, crushing them with the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and olives and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the dill and half of the feta and cook just until the feta is hot, about 1 minute. Transfer to shallow bowls, sprinkle with the remaining feta and serve with crusty bread.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

29 comments:

Erica said...

Yum- I love shrimp and feta cheese so I'm sure this dish would be a winner! Good luck with the cleanse- can't wait to read about it!!

Kiki (Run Kiki Run) said...

My favourite treat when I am in a restaurant in greece!!

Pearl said...

oh that shrimp recipe looks incredible!

good luck with the cleanse :)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

This looks so good. I would love to visit Greece.

Diana said...

Good luck with the cleanse! I'm sure you will do great! :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Oooh! I can't wait to see what other Greek dishes you make!

vanillasugarblog said...

oh yee of little faith! you can make it to Day 2! LOL
Just don't go looking at food blogs is all, those kill me when I'm being good.

Simones Kitchen said...

I love saganaki anything, although I have to say that saganaki cheese would have to be my absolutely favorite and the first thing I eat when we go to greece! These shrimp look amazing! Good luck with the cleanse!

Anonymous said...

If you can eat things like this on a cleanse, that's great. Feta is a fave of ours.

Claudia said...

Oh! I make a shrimp and feta and pasta and penne thingie so I know I will love this. Luscious!

Christina Kim said...

Looks absolutely tempting! I've never heard of saganaki before, so I initially thought this would be a Japanese-inspired dish. But looking at the ingredients, it's definitely a Greek dish!!

Heather said...

WOW. that sounds delicious. I've just recently started liking shrimp (I think i've told you that)... and this recipe sounds amazing!

Kerstin said...

I love feta cheese, but never would have thought to pair it with shrimp - looks yummy!

Reeni said...

I love shrimp! This looks delicious! I don't use feta enough in my cooking. Good luck with your cleanse!

Donna-FFW said...

Oh Esi, This dish could easily become a favorite of mine. I love the sound of it all. Shrimp and feta cheese. you picked such an awesome one!!

Esi said...

Thanks guys. Done with day 1 of the cleanse..not quite sure how day 2 is going to pan out. Keep ya posted!

unconfidentialcook said...

I love shrimp and feta and kalamata olives--just didn't know it was called shrimp saganaki. Thanks for your version of the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Cool way to use up left over shrimp and feta!

nice blog!

Katie Barlow said...

Yum! This looks great! Which cleanse are you trying?

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I'm making this tonight! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Two out of three of my kiddos love shrimp and they ALL love feta and kalamata olives (I'll make her salmon).
~ingrid

lisaiscooking said...

This sounds great. Shrimp, dill, feta, fantastic! Good luck with your cleanse.

Esi said...

Unconfidential, Saganaki actually refers to the pan it is cooked in. Same as the cheese.

Tasty meals, yes, this is a great way to use up things you may already have.

Katie, I am doing the Fat Flush. So far it's going just ok.

Ingrid, hope you enjoy it!

Lisa, thank you!

Deseree said...

So jealous that you got to go to Greece. This recipe looks wonderful!

test it comm said...

Shrimp saganaki is so good! So many great flavours combined in one dish!

Kathy - Panini Happy said...

I tried this same recipe from F&W and loved it. Yours came out fantastic!

Best of luck with the cleanse!

Sara said...

I make something very similar and serve it over orzo to sop up all the yummy juices. Yours looks delicous!

Rich Alossi said...

Great "pantry cleanse" recipe - I made this with dried dill and canned tomatoes... simply amazing.

Went perfectly well with Martha Stewart's Israeli couscous recipe. I'm adding this to my permanent rotation -- even though I tend to be adventurous and hardly cook the same thing very often.

Nice seeing you at the beach!

Esi said...

Rich! I love the changes you made to make it with what you had already. It was great seeing you too, we need to do that more often :)

Rumela said...

I was made this shrimp saganaki for dinner tonight, and it was delicious! I was a little nervous it wouldn't have enough depth of flavor, but it turned out scrumptious. even my hubby was loved eating this...as long as he can use his fingers. thank you for shearing your post.