Thursday, April 23, 2009

Asparagus wtih Blood Oranges

Asparagus with Blood Oranges

For the last few months I have been receiving Saveur courtesy of the Foodie Blogroll and it has quickly become one of my favorite food magazines. I love everything about it from the pictures, to the writing and of course the tasty recipes. There are also so many helpful tips on food preparation. I can't believe I didn't discover this magazine earlier. In one of the recent issues, this recipe jumped out at me. The original recipe caled for navel oranges, but since I am having a love affair with blood oranges lately, I decided to use them here. The dressing was the right balance of sweet and tart with the asparagus and the orange segments added a nice dimension as well. It's really easy and fast for dinner, especially if you're not very hungry like I was last night.


Asparagus with Blood Oranges
(Adapted from Saveur, April 2009)

Makes 1-2 servings

1 blood orange
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 scallion, finely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
8 stalks green asparagus

Zest the orange; set zest aside. Slice off the ends of the orange. Set an orange on end; with a small knife, slice off and discard the peel and the white pith. Holding the orange in your hand, use a knife to cut the orange segments away from their membranes. Place segments in a bowl and set aside. Over a separate bowl, squeeze the remaining orange pulp to extract any remaining juice. Whisk 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, lemon juice, oregano, and scallion into orange juice and season with salt and pepper; set dressing aside.

Cut off about 1" from the tough end of the asparagus and transfer asparagus to a large microwavable baking dish. Sprinkle asparagus with reserved orange zest and drizzle with remaining oil and 2 tablespoons water. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes, rotating the dish if necessary until asparagus is just tender. Drain off cooking liquid. Toss asparagus with reserved citrus dressing and season with salt. Top with orange segments. Serve immediately or at room temperature.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Erica said...

Hey! I'm so sorry you're having a rough couple of days. Please let me know if I can do anything/feel free to write me an email if you just need to vent!

This recipe looks awesome! I am so all about asapargus right now. Love the change to blood oranges- makes it look so cool!

Mindy said...

This looks great! I have a packet of asparagus in the fridge right now, and just may try this...

I hope tomorrow is a better day!

Marta said...

Asparagus just goes so well with citrus and the deep tang of the blood orange must make a perfect complement to the dish. Plsu, so healthy and fresh! I've got to start eating like you do!
I hope the stormy days end soon for you :) I send some sunshine your way!
M

Hayley said...

This looks so pretty. I hope everything is ok.

Diana said...

I really need to check out Saveur -- I hadn't even heard of it before you mentioned it a few weeks back.

I hope you are feeling a little less stressed today. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

What a great creation!

vanillasugarblog said...

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help, I'm always here for you chicklet! I mean that.

I used to have a subscription to them, but dropped it in a feng shui-month long clean up. oh well.

Apples and Butter said...

Your picture is beautiful and I'm sorry you're having a rough couple of days! I think it must be something in the air in LA right now. Myself and a number of people I know have had a rough go of it this week. It's almost Friday!

Christina Kim said...

My thoughts are with you.

You are fabulous!

Pearl said...

i'm sorry to hear that you're having a not-so-excellent couple of days right now.. hopefully it'll be gone before you know it! and that asparagus with blood oranges looks great :D

i'm here if you'd like to talk :)

mary said...

this looks amazing. im ready for spring.

Sharon said...

Hang in there! I hope things brighten up :)

We've been making a lot of asparagus lately as it has been on sale everywhere but making it the same way each time. I'm eager to try something new!

Reeni said...

I'm sorry your having a rough time. I wish you the best.

Your asparagus looks delicious and I love Saveur-it has become my favorite food mag!!

unconfidential cook said...

I saw this in Saveur--loved it there, and love it here. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Esi said...

Thank you, thank you everyone. All of your nice words certainly brightened my day :)

Kana said...

Esi - Hope you are feeling better soon:)Beautiful and healthy dish - can't beat that!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks so good! A bit of goats cheese and that is a meal!

Heather said...

aren't blood oranges the best?! this looks amazing! i hope things start getting better!! i'm keeping you in my thoughts :)