Thursday, November 5, 2009

Apple Cider Cookies/Muffin Tops

Apple Cider Cookie/Muffin Top

So I know some people only share their recipe triumphs on their blogs, but honestly some of my fails have been really awesome triumphs. Take these doughnut/cookie/muffin tops for example. I have been really hesitant about apple cider doughnuts because of the frying factor. Now that I live in a small studio, the thought of frying things and having the place stink for days is off-putting so I have been wanting to try cider doughnuts for a while, but in a way that I wouldn't have to mess up the place. I thought I had found the perfect recipe after finding Shannon's version of baked cider doughnuts, but I soon realized that with no doughnut pan and no yeast in the recipe, these would not be the apple-y puff pieces I had hoped and dreamed of. That said, these weren't bad. They were really great as soft cookies or nicely cooked muffin tops. Especially when mixed with the simple cinnamon sugar instead of bothering with a glaze. I still have plenty of cider left so if I find a good recipe for good baked cider douhnuts, I am totally willing to try it again. Any suggestions? Leave them in the comments!

Apple Cider Cookie/Muffin Tops
(Adapted from Tri to Cook)

For the apple puree:
1 apple, peeled and diced
3/4 cup apple cider

Dry ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Wet ingredients:
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple puree (from above)
1 ounce agave nectar
1 1/2 ounces apple cider
1 1/2 ounces greek yogurt
1 1/2 tablespoon canola oil

For the topping:
1 cup apple cider
1/4 cup powdered sugar
OR cinnamon-sugar mixture

Prepare the apple puree by simmering the diced apple and 3/4 cup cider over medium-low heat until broken down. Puree with immersion blender (or regular one). You should have 1/4 cup puree. If you have more than this, return to heat and simmer until reduced. Let cool. This can be made ahead, if you'd like.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray cookie sheet lightly with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. To prepare the glaze: add 1 cup cider to small saucepan and simmer over med-low heat until reduced to 1/4 cup. Whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth and glossy adding more cider or powdered sugar as needed.

Combine the dry ingredients and whisk/stir well together in a small bowl. Whisk together wet ingredients in a medium bowl . Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined. Add the mixture by the tablespoon-full to the baking sheet leaving about an inch between the cookies. Bake 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and turn onto cooling rack. Repeat with remaining dough. Add cinnamon-sugar to plate. When cooled slightly, dip the cookies in glaze OR into cinnamon-sugar mix. Serve warm.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

Maria said...

I love these. They look so soft and I bet the flavor is amazing!

vanillasugarblog said...

woman you are on a baking-marathon. what gives? are you drinking new & improved coffee or something?
cider muffin tops rule

The Food Librarian said...

These look great! I'll bring over my mini donut maker (not fried) and we'll make mini donuts!!!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

this is my dream recipe! who likes the bottom of the muffin anyways =)love those muffin tops!

Unknown said...

ooh, almost appropriate as muffin tops, as that's where their texture fell... i couldn't find any yeast recipes for baking doughnuts, but i think i am going to give it one more try just baking instead of frying. do you think that would work?

can't wait to meet you this weekend!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Golly, these look so delicious. I can imagine one or two with my morning coffee or afternoon tea.

Esi said...

Haha, Dawn, I am just so excited to be back in the kitchen. Plus, I work with a lot of people so I can give away all my baked goods.

Mary, sounds like a plan to me!

Shannon, I am going to keep searching for a baked doughnut recipe with yeast...or maybe I will try baking a recipe that is supposed to be fried? Looking forward to meeting you this weekend!

Erica said...

ow! These sound/look like a perfect breakfast! How fun

Fresh Local and Best said...

I can understand your reluctance to deep fry, the odor stays in the fabrics forever. This looks like quite an interesting recipe.

Jenn said...

Yum!! Breakfast right here. I like these because they're baked. I'm with you on the frying part. As much as I love fried foods, I try to avoid them when possible.

Pauline said...

Mmm! They look so soft and fluffy! And the ingredients sound pretty healthy. Hard to believe your inspiration for this was doughnuts!

Diana said...

I like reading about recipe fails. Makes me feel better about my own fails!

Course I'd never know this was a fail - they look delish!

Simones Kitchen said...

I've been wanting to try and make donuts for myself for quite some time now but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
This does look delicious!

Reeni said...

These are the next best thing to doughnuts! These might even be better! They look scrumptious!

Christina Kim said...

These sound delightful! But, can you help me with converting ounces into cups/tablespoons?? Thanks!

Christine said...

This does sound delicious! Most cider doughnut recipes I've seen are for cake doughnuts, and fried vs baked probably would be different, though I found this one for you: Cider Doughnuts.

For an actual baked doughnut with yeast, I've made the recipe for them from 101 Cookbooks. It was good, but more akin to a somewhat sweet roll than a doughnut. You could definitely play around with replacing some of the milk with apple cider, and making an apple cider glaze!

And now I want cider doughnuts!

Esi said...

Christina, thank you so much. I have had that 101 Cookbooks recipe saved for a while so I may try and figure out a way to adapt it.