Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Saffron Rice with Green Peas

Saffron Rice with Peas


Here is my accompaniment for the Albondigas I had over the weekend. This rice is so easy and pretty too. Of course after the fact, I saw Giada make a similar recipe with pancetta. I guess I'll have to try that next time. This rice was great with the meatballs, but I am looking forward to having it again with all kinds of meats and maybe even some kind of garbanzo bean mixture. This is easily made into a vegetarian dish by using vegetable stock or water in place of the chicken stock.



Saffron Rice with Peas
(Based on Jehan Can Cook)

Makes 2+ servings

1/2 small onion, diced
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup rice
Pinch saffron strands
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup frozen green peas

Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, another minute. Add the rice and toast until lightly golden.

Carefully add the chicken stock and saffron. Bring to a boil, season with salt and pepper, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook on low for about 15 minutes. Add the peas and cook another 5 minutes until the peas are thawed and the rice is cooked through.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Erica said...

I love the flavor of saffron and use it so sparingly due to the price! The rice looks totally yummy. <3 peas.

Mary Bergfeld said...

The colors of your dish are straight from a painter's palette. This is gorgeous to look at and I imagine delicious as well.

Jenn said...

Delicious. I need to stock up on some saffron.

Dolce said...

For some reason I have a hard time eating rice & peas at the same time... Maybe I should give it another try with your recipe!

vanillasugarblog said...

yes chickpeas would go nice with this. I bet this was filling after working out?

Unknown said...

ooh, the chickpeas would be a great addition!! can't wait to meet you this weekend :)

Kana said...

Esi: this is all round great recipe. You have inspired be to post rice recipe ;)

The Food Librarian said...

Oh, this looks delicious! Sorry I'm so behind on your posts. Blame the Bundt.

Katty Peri said...

Cooking allows to express creativity by trying new recipes helping to maintain a healthy weight and avoid overeating. Therefore, busy students using CIPD course cost UK to learn writing guidelines and have extra time for cooking this provides an opportunity to connect with family and friends.