Monday, November 30, 2009

Asian Pork Burgers

Asian Pork Burger


Last week I tried a new to me farmers market at the Santa Monica promenade. I really like waking up on Sunday mornings and heading to the market, but sometimes I get busy so it was nice to try a Saturday option, plus this one is all organic! I picked up a bunch of great things for the short week and I also got some pork in anticipation of making this recipe, but later that day I got a craving for a burger. Since I didn't feel like running to the store yet again, I improvised with what I had. I grilled up some sweet onions and mixed together a thick peanut sauce as a topping. The burgers are great! Really flavorful and a nice hint of spice when eaten with the peanut sauce. The carrots may sound odd on a burger, but they added a nice crunch. I used those sandwich thin things instead of buns so I didn't feel so heavy. In fact, I'll be honest with you...these were so tasty I ate them both...in one sitting! Please don't judge me.


Asian Pork Burgers
(Adapted from Steamy Kitchen)

Makes 2 burgers

8 ounces ground pork (or turkey)
1 large garlic clove, grated
1/4 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
1 egg, beaten (you will only need about half)
1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper

Buns

Toppings:
Carrots
Peanut butter
White or rice wine vinegar
Red pepper flakes
Salt
Grilled onions

Combine all ingredients for the burger. Form 2 equal sized burgers. Don’t make them too thick or they will be difficult to cook thoroughly. With your fingers, form a nice little dent in the middle. The burger will puff up in the middle during cooking and the dent will allow your burger will puff up evenly.

Cook burgers on medium-high direct heat for 4 minutes on each side or until internal meat is 160F. Serve with whichever toppings you like.

To make the peanut sauce:
Mix the peanut butter, vinegar, and red pepper flakes to taste. Season with salt as needed.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

Darn it, I need to cook something up from Steamy Kitchen. I keep reading Jaden's book, but I need to get to the Asian market to get what I need. These look yummy!

vanillasugarblog said...

you know I would never judge, in fact I would sit with you and eat 2 too. I can clearly see why you did just that, these sound so good.

The Active Foodie said...

Yum, Asian burgers! I love experimenting with different types of burgers. Asian pork burger sounds delicious!

Erica said...

I bet the flavor was fun and very unique! I'm all for a peanut sauce topping on anything ;) I'll have to try making these for Josh

Diana said...

So this was that burger you were raving about last week on twitter! I've been waiting for the recipe! Can't wait to try them! :)

The Duo Dishes said...

The other white meat! So rarely used, though it's great in burgers, meatballs, meatloaves. Yum.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These are wonderful burgers. It sounds as though you enjoyed them as much as we do. The new book is wonderful.

NMOS said...

That actually sounds extremely tasty. I love peanut sauce on Asian dishes. You could also try a grilled chicken burger, as chicken generally goes well with peanut sauce. There's this one beef burger that's served with a spread of peanut butter. I'm sure that's good.

Unknown said...

no judgement here... we won't go into what i do on my own *hangs head*. these sound delicious!

Holy Cannoli Recipes said...

This sounds really good. I cannot wait to give it a try.