Friday, November 20, 2009

Apple Gruyere Tart

Apple and Gruyere Tart

Last week I had some apples lying around and I wanted to do something interesting with them. I also had some gruyere left from the butternut squash pasties and some puff pastry left from my vols-au-vent so the combination that quickly came together in my head was a tart. For some color and added flavor, I added a bit of fresh thyme. If you have been reading this blog for a while, you know I am a huge fan of simple dishes. This is one fantastically dish that does not skimp on flavor. I am so loving the pink lady apples this season both for snacking and cooking with. I did not use quite the whole apple on this tart so snack on the rest while the tart is baking.



Apple and Gruyere Tart
(By Esi)

Makes 1 8-inch tart

1 square puff pastry
4 tablespoons Gruyere cheese
1 apple, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped plus extra thyme sprigs for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

On a lightly floured board, roll out the puff pastry to an 8-inch round or square. Score the pastry so that there is a 1-inch border around. Spread 2 tablespoons of cheese over the bottom of the pastry. Lay the apples in a single layer over the cheese, then top with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle the top of the tart with the chopped thyme. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Brush the exposed edges of the pastry with egg wash. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden and the cheese has browned. Garnish with extra thyme sprigs if desired.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

this looks incredible! i have not fully explored the pairing of fruit and cheese. I think this looks incredible for my start. :)

Jenn said...

Lovely looking tart. Simple and easy recipes a certainly the way to go. I just ate my last apple, I'll have to buy a few more from the farmer's market.

Priya said...

Looks so delicious! Thanks.

Diana said...

I love your simple recipes - perfect for single diners like me! :)

Maybe I should make this tart instead of the onion one...

Or just do both!

vanillasugarblog said...

apple & gruyere, girl you are the bestest. so many people I know hate apples & cheese together. weirdo's I say.
this weekend I am a gym-rat and a kitchen-rat. do you know I am up to 100 abs a day now? who would have thunk?

Simones Kitchen said...

Gorgeous looking little tart! We are having friends from Belgium over for the weekend and we're going out for dinner as well, so I should be hitting the gym for 24 hours in a row to make up for that..:)

Reeni said...

This is gorgeous! Love the flavor combo of apple and Gruyere! Have a wonderful weekend!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really does sound lovely. The combination of apples and gruyere is fantastic.

angela@spinachtiger said...

This is so perfectly "me." Simple, delicious, elegant. I love this kind of tart. Love it.

P.S. I got your comment about the pictures. Gracie.

Veggie Belly said...

this is such a beautiful tart..my life wont be the same without puff pastry!

Kerstin said...

What a lovely tart, your flavor combo sounds spot on!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Apple and cheese is such a gorgeous combination! And this looks pretty!

Unknown said...

Mmm, the apple, thyme, gruyere did wonders for my apple pie--this would be fabulous!! love :)

Kelly said...

Definitely going on my to make list. I know a lot of people put cheddar on their apple pie so why not change it up for gruyere and turn it into a tart. This reminds me of the kind of fare I like to have at French-inspired bistros. I think it would be great with a lightly dressed salad of microgreens.

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

What a great dish. I love apples and gruyere in grilled cheese, but I do have some puff pastry left over that I didn't know what do to with so now I will try this dish!

Ken said...

This may be simple, but you have brought so much to this presentation too! I love it GREG

Ken said...

Ken is is sippitysup...my computer is having issues so I am using Kens GREG

Olga said...

ooh that's so pretty! Love the savory aspect of this tart! Would be great for breakfast.

have a fantastic thanksgiving.