Friday, November 13, 2009

Foodbuzz Festival: Day 1

When I landed in SFO, I headed straight to the Galleria Park and then to Hotel Vitale which was the location of the cocktail reception. Unfortunately I arrived just as the reception was ending, so after registering quickly, I ran over to the Ferry Building for dinner. Luckily, I brought my appetite. After a quick introduction to Sonja of Active Foodie, Rachael of La Fuji Mama, Gaby of What’s Gaby Cooking, and my roommate Joy of Gourmeted, I decided I needed to get some food in me stat. Luckily, there was plenty to choose from.

Porchetta Sandwich

Pizza Politana

A long line was beginning to form at the Roli Roti truck whose porchetta sandwiches were getting rave reviews from everyone around. I believe it was Gaby who described the sandwich as “life changing”. This may seem dramatic to some, but honestly it was not an exaggeration. This was the best sandwich I think I had ever eaten and so worth the wait. The pork belly and loin with crispy skin added a great flavor and texture. I now wish I would have picked up one of their shirts that said “I heart crispy skin”. The rosemary potatoes on the side were really good as well and this is coming from someone who doesn’t really like potatoes. Even though I didn’t want to stop eating the sandwich, I knew there was a lot more food to try and I didn’t want to fill up too quickly. I grazed a bit at the chicharrones, and set off on my next food mission.

Basil Cockails

In all honesty, it was a bit overwhelming to me since I was looking for food, people, and trying to take pictures all at the same time. I was so happy to finally meet people I have connected with via the blog and Twitter. Kelly of Evil Shenanigans, Olga of Mango Tomato and her identical twin Anna, Nastassia of Let Me Eat Cake, Christina of Hot Pink Manolos, Cathy of Gastronomy Blog, and Angela of Spinach Tiger. I also ran into some old favorites including The Duo Dishes and Greg of Sippity Sup. The food highlights besides that amazing pork sandwich were the steak and gruyere pies from The Pie Truck (seriously fantastic steak and gruyere mixture in a flaky buttery crust…you can’t go wrong with that) and freshly shucked Oysters from Hog Island Oyster Co. I am pretty sure I had never had freshly shucked oysters before and in about the span of a minute, I ate five in a row!

Hog Island Oyster Co.

After I was completely satisfied, I headed back to the hotel to get some rest and gear up for the next day of eating and drinking. More on that tomorrow…

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

Olga said...

Wow, you met so many people! I was busy eating :)

Great shot of oysters!!!

vanillasugarblog said...

this just kills me. seeing everyone post all these photos of food and fellow bloggers. what a great time. you know I would be standing right next to those trucks! I heard there was a pie truck too?

Dolce said...

The oysters look absolutely stunning...
Gosh I wish I could attend one of those events, they look great!

Erica said...

SO fun- I have loved reading all of the reviews about the event, seems like such a blast.

Kelly @ EvilShenanigans said...

It was great to meet you too! Yes, the prochetta was life changing. Guess what Shenanigans I am cookin' up at Christmas? :D

Fresh Local and Best said...

Those oysters look fab!

Jenn said...

I wish I could have gone. I'm craving for oysters all of the sudden.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a great description of events. Those of us who did not attend get a flavor for what went on. It sounds wonderful.

Diana said...

A pie truck?!? I think LA needs to get one of those stat!

kellypea said...

That reception was packed but there were some good cocktails. It's a wonder nobody fell over the side ; )

Krissy @ The Food Addicts said...

Good seeing you again, Esi! It was definitely a great event :)

Reeni said...

Such fun I missed out on! And delicious eats!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I want a life-changing sandwich! Wow!

What were those drinks? They look frosty and delicious.

Esi said...

Those of you that didn't go this year must make it a point to try for next year. It was fantastic!

Kelly, can't wait to see your Christmas meal!

Diana, SAVORY PIES. They were amazing.

Foodycat, those cocktails were basil infused with I think lemon and vodka. They were refreshing and great!